Aloo Bhindi Recipe: It is simple everyday sabzi which goes very well with dal, roti and rice. This simple home style aloo bhindi masala/ alo bhindi ki sabji is quick and easy to do and loved by everyone.
Bhindi/okra is a very common vegetable which is widely available all over the world. I also often make at it at home in many ways. In my blog you can see the recipe of Bhindi do pyaza, bharwa Bhindi/okra, Bhindi ka salan and now this aloo Bhindi.
Sometimes when we cook bhindi it tends to become slimy and does not taste very good. Here are few tips and tricks to avoid that sliminess in bhindi:
- Choose the right Bhindi/okra. Look for bright color and smaller size okra.
- It is very important to dry them thoroughly with paper towel after washing and before chopping.
- Cook them covered for some time then also cook them in open for some time.
- Adding lemon juice or amchur powder also cut the slime.
Aloo Bhindi recipe is very easy to do. Here I have not deep fried the okras, just chopped them and cooked them directly with potatoes and spices. To give extra taste I have also added some gram flour at the end that soaks extra water out gives us perfect aloo bhindi fry. Also I have added green chilly, red chilly and garam masala as I like this aloo bhindi ki sabzi little spicy. If you do not want it too spicy then you can skip the chillies.
Aloo Bhindi Recipe
Aloo Bhindi Masala Recipe:
Aloo Bhindi Masala Recipe / Aloo Bhindi Ki Sabji Recipe Card:
- Bhindi: 18-20
- Potato: 1 medium size
- Onion: 1 small
- Garlic: 4-5 cloves
- Green chilly : 2 (slit in four pieces)
- Fennel seeds (sauf): ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (meethi dana): ½ tsp
- Ajwain: ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder (haldi): ¼ tsp
- Red chilly powder: ½ tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Dry mango (amchur) powder: ½ tsp
- Garam masala: ¼ tsp
- Gram flour (besan): 11/2 tsp
- Oil: 2-3 tbsp
- Wash Bhindi and dry them on kitchen towel. Slit the corners and chop them in ½” pieces and keep them aside.
- Peel and wash potatoes. Chop them in small cubes and mix with bhindi.
- Chop onion and garlic in small pieces and keep them separately.
- Heat oil in big pan at medium heat. Add fennel seeds, methi seeds and ajwain.
- Let them cook for few seconds or till you get nice aroma.
- Add chopped garlic, slit green chillies, sauté it for a minute.
- Add chopped onions and cook till onions become soft.
- Now add Bhindi, aloo, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix everything, cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook till potatoes and Bhindi are fully cooked.
- It will take 10-12 minutes. Saute them couple of times in between for even cooking.
- Now sprinkle red chilly powder, coriander powder, amchur powder, garam masala and besan over the veggies.
- Mix them nicely and cook in open for almost 5-6 minutes.
- Check the potatoes if they are fully cooked and also check for salt.
- If needed add salt accordingly and switch off the heat.
- Aloo bhindi ki sabzi is ready to serve.