Aloo vada or aloo bonda vada is made with very few ingredients available at home. Aloo vada or batata vada is a quick variation of famous aloo bonda which can be made in minutes.
Aloo bonda is a famous Indian snack. It is often served with pav and spicy dry lehsun ki chutney and called vada pav, A quick breakfast or snack for everyone. Aloo vada or batata vada is a version of aloo bonda. It tastes delicious and easy to make.
I ate these aloo vadas (or wada) at my friend’s house and totally fell in love with them. The smell of fresh spices and herbs make them super flavorful and scrumptious. I like it as it can be made in 15 minutes if you have boiled potatoes in your fridge. Just mix all the ingredients together and aloo vada or batata vada is ready to fry.
I really recommend using freshly crushed coriander and cumin seeds. And if you use fresh ginger garlic paste, curry leaves and coriander leaves in this recipe it enhances the flavor of aloo vada multiple times.
I like to serve batata vada with spicy chilly garlic chutney. You can also serve them with pav, bread or parathas and it is a full meal in itself.
Here are few tips to make perfect aloo bonda | aloo vada:
- Do not grate the potatoes. Break them with hands. Make sure to leave few small chunks.
- Make coarse powder of cumin and coriander seeds, do not completely powder them.
- Make sure to fine chop all the ingredients so they can be mix easily together.
- Add more gram flour in the mixture if needed to get the right consistency.
- You can make mixture ahead of time and store it in fridge in an airtight container.
Aloo Vada / Aloo Bonda Vada Recipe Video:
Aloo Vada / Aloo Bonda Vada Recipe Card:
- For making chutney:
- Dry red chilly: 8-10
- Garlic cloves: 7-8
- Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
- Sugar: ¼ tsp
- For Vadas:
- Boiled peeled potatoes: 3 medium size
- Gram flour or besan: ¼ cup
- Fine chopped onions: ¼ cup
- Rava / Sooji / Semolina: 1 tbsp
- Chilli flakes: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder / haldi powder: ½ tsp
- Fine chopped coriander: 2 tbsp
- Fine chopped curry leaves: 8-10
- Cumin seeds/ zeera: ½ tsp
- Whole coriander seeds / sabut dhania: ½ tsp
- Ginger garlic paste: 1-2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- For making chutney----->
- Break red chilly in two pieces and take out the seeds.
- Soak them in hot water for 20 minutes.
- After two minutes take a mixer jar and put red chili along with 2-3 tbsp of water.
- Add salt, garlic, sugar and lemon juice.
- Grind to paste. Chutney is ready. Keep it aside.
- For making vadas--->
- Take mortar pestle and crush cumin seeds and dhania seeds to coarse powder.
- Now break potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Add cumin coriander powder, gram flour, sooji, onions, chili flakes, turmeric powder, ginger garlic, coriander and curry leaves and salt.
- Mix them well. Mixture is ready. Cover and keep it in fridge for 20 minutes.
- After twenty minutes take out the mixture from fridge.
- Grease your palms with some oil. Take small portions of the mixture and shape them to vada shapes.
- Now heat the oil at medium heat.
- Once oil is hot enough deep fry vadas till they are golden brown and crisp.
- Serve hot with spicy garlic chutney.
2. Make coarse powder of cumin and coriander seeds, do not completely powder them.
3. Make sure to fine chop all the ingredients so they can be mix easily together.
4. Add more gram flour in the mixture if needed to get the right consistency.
5. You can make mixture ahead of time and store it in fridge in an airtight container.