This Aloo Gobi Recipe (or Potato Cauliflower Curry) is a very common recipe in northern part of India. There are several ways of making this aloo gobi curry. Today I am posting this Indian dhaba (roadside restaurant) style aloo gobi recipe. Food served in dhaba is usually more spicy and oily than home food and tastes amazing.
In this gobi aloo recipe, aloo and gobi (cauliflower potatoes) are cooked in the gravy flavored with ginger, garlic and lots of other Indian spices. This aloo gobi curry tastes wonderful with missi roti, plain rice, rotis or naan. Whenever I choose cauliflower at store, I look for creamy white compact florets with fresh, thick, crispy green leaves and avoid dull colors and spots. Size is not related to quality, I pick up whichever seems fresh.
Coming to the recipe, this is really an easy aloo gobi recipe. I sautéed gobi, aloo in little oil till they get nicely roasted. I prefer to cut cauliflower in large pieces and potatoes in smaller pieces so that they get cooked at same time. Next, I pressure cooked onions, garlic, ginger and tomatoes till they become soft. Sautéed them till they leave oil and added masala, aloo, gobi and dry fenugreek leaves. Added water and cooked on simmer till veggies are soft and fully cooked. And yes, don’t forget to garnish with some fresh coriander leaves.
My friends says I am mad about coriander leaves and green chillies J. Do you think the same way?
Watch my Easy to Follow video on how to make Dhaba style aloo gobi recipe or potato cauliflower curry.
Here is a quick recipe card for aloo gobi recipe or potato cauliflower curry :
- Chopped onions: 1 medium size,
- Tomatoes: 2 medium size,
- Chopped cauliflower (phool ghobi): 4 cups,
- Chopped potatoes: 3 medium size,
- Garlic cloves: 6-7,
- Chopped ginger: 1 inch,
- Cumin (sabut jeera): 1 tsp,
- Pepper corns: 7-8
- Red chilly powder: 1 tsp,
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp,
- Garam masala: 1 tsp,
- Coriander powder: 2 tsp,
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp,
- Dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi): 2 tbsp,
- Oil for cooking,
- Chop potatoes(aloo) in small and cauliflower(gobi) in big pieces.
- In the hot pan add little oil and put potatoes and cauliflower and salt.
- Cover and cook them till they become little soft and nicely roasted.
- In a pressure cooker add oil. When oil is hot add cumin seeds and pepper corns.
- Now add garlic, chopped onions. Cook till onions become soft and change color.
- As onions become soft it’s time to add tomatoes, ginger and salt.
- Now we'll add ½ cup of water, close the cooker and take 3-4 whistles.
- As the cooker cools down open it and let the mixture cook till oil comes out.
- Mash all the garlic pieces and onions while cooking the masala.
- When oil comes out add turmeric, chilly, coriander and cumin powder.
- Mix the spices together then add roasted potatoes and cauliflower.
- Sauté and cook for some time so that vegetables get nicely coated in masala.
- Now add Dry fenugreek leaves and everything.
- Now add 1 or 2 cups of water to the vegetables according to the consistency you like and boil the gravy till vegetables become tender.
- When the vegetables are soft switch of the heat and sprinkle some garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Aloo gobi curry is ready .Serve hot with chapati, paratha or rice.
2. You can use more red chilly powder and green chillies if you want it hotter.
3. Enjoy this potato cauliflower curry with naan, steamed white rice or chapatti, it tastes awesome with anything.