Besan wali Bhindi – Quick, easy and delicious dry Bhindi ki sabji which goes very well with parathas, pooris, dal and rice. This Bhindi recipeis different from my other Bhindi ki sabzi as it is made in very different way.
You can find lots of Bhindi recipes in my blog like Bhindi ka salan, aloo Bhindi, besan, bharwan (stuffed Bhindi), bhindi do pyaza and now this simple besan vali Bhindi. I love making Bhindi in different ways as it is my husband’s favorite. I think bhindi is one of the vegetable which is widely available all over the world.
I learned this besan wali Bhindi ki sabji from a famous cook Yamuna Devi. She made besan wali beans. To make it little different I tried it with Bhindi/okra and it came out amazingly delicious. It’s a super quick recipe which requires ingredients mostly available at home. It’s an excellent side which can be served with chapatis, parathas or pooris. I must say if you are Bhindi/okra fan, then it’s a must try recipe.
While making this besan wali bhindi or any other bhindi ki sabzi I make sure that bhindi/okra are very dry before chopping. Once you wash the Bhindi do pat dry them with clean cotton cloth or paper towel. Otherwise Bhindi will become slimy and will not taste good. Do try this quick recipe and I hope you like it.
Some tips on making perfect Besan wali Bhindi:
- Always pat dry bhindis with cotton cloth or tissue paper before cooking. Otherwise bhindis will become slimy.
- I have used green chilly, red chilly and garam masala which makes this Bhindi little spicy. You can reduce level of spiciness according to your taste buds.
- We used salt twice in this recipe one time in gram flour and second time in bhindis. Be careful just add small amount of salt both time.
- Add besan/gram flour mixture only when bhindis are fully cooked and we are not going to cook sabji for long time after that.
If you are looking for more easy everyday dry sabzi recipes you may like :
Besan wali Bhindi- Video Recipe
Besan wali Bhindi- Detailed Recipe Card
- Bhindi (okra): 200 gm or 15-18 pieces of large bhindis
- Gram flour (Besan): 6 tbsp
- Onion: ½ cup
- Garlic: 3-4 cloves
- Ginger: ½” piece
- Green chilly : 1-2
- Asafetida: one pinch
- Carom seeds (ajwain): ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds: ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Red chilly powder: ½ tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Dry mango (amchur) powder: ½ tsp
- Garam masala: ¼ tsp
- Oil: 2-3 tbsp
- Wash and dry Bhindi/okra completely. Take the stem out and cut it diagonally in 1-2 “ pieces and keep aside.
- Roughly chop onions and keep aside. In mortar pestle ground together chilly, garlic and ginger. Make a coarse paste and keep it aside.
- Take gram flour/besan in a bowl and mix it with water and make a thick paste as shown in video.
- Now heat the oil in a pan at medium heat. When oil is hot add asafetida, carom seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splatter and then add ground ginger garlic paste.
- Saute ginger garlic till it's raw smell is gone and garlic turns little pink in color.
- Now add chopped onions, mix and cook till onions are little soft and slightly pink in color.
- Once onions are little soft add turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Now add chopped Bhindi, salt and mix everything.
- Cover and cook Bhindi on medium flame for 3-4 minutes, after that reduce the heat to low and cook Bhindi till they are soft.
- It may take 8-10 minutes. Keep stirring it after every 2 minutes to avoid from burning and sticking.
- Once Bhindi is soft enough push them in the center and pour besan (gram flour) mixture on the sides as shown in video.
- Cover and cook it on medium low flame for 3-4 minutes or till besan is dried up.
- Once besan is dry enough break it in small pieces with your spatula as shown in the video.
- Mix it well with Bhindi. Now add red chilly powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder and garam masala.
- Mix everything well and let sabzi cook with masala for few minutes.
- Besan wali Bhindi is ready to serve. Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve besan wali Bhindi with hot chapatti or parathas.