Bread Chana Chaat is a quick chaat recipe for chaat lovers. This easy recipe of making chana chaat is made with an uncommon chaat ingredient – bread.
This bread chana chaat is really very easy and a good alternate to papdi chaat. If you prepare sweet sour chutney and green coriander chutney ahead of time this chana chaat can be done in minutes. I made this bread chana chaat couple of times for parties and everybody just loved it!
I learned this recipe of making bread chana chaat from my sister Swati who is big time foodie. The idea here is make it similar to papdi chaat, but with a relatively easier ingredient- Bread so that we can make it more often. If you are a chaat lover like me, you will know what I am talking about. If you want to try something new, try this bread chana chaat and I am sure you’ll love it. It can be great starter for get-togethers, kitty parties and potlucks.
Whenever I want to take Bread Chana Chaat for parties or potlucks I prepare part of the chaat ahead of time and rest while serving to ensure that it stays crispy. The most important thing to remember in this recipe is that you eat it as soon as it is prepared, else bread will get soggy and will not taste its best.
I used kabuli chana or white chickpeas in making this bread chana chaat. You can also make this chaat with leftover boiled chanas or even with leftover chana masala.If I want to pack bread chana chaat for parties first, I toast the bread nicely with butter till it becomes evenly brown and crispy and then I let it cool down before I pack it (this will keep the bread crispy longer). Then, I mix chana, potatoes and chaat masala together and pack it in a separate box. In another box, I pack chopped onions, coriander leaves and green chillies. Also pack chilly powder, cumin powder, beaten yogurt and a lemon. Grab chutnies and sev (Indian savory) packets and ta-da I am ready to go!
Bread Chana Chaat Recipe Video:
You can see chutney recipes here: Chutney
Bread chana chaat recipe card below:
- Bread pieces: 4,
- Boiled chana or chola: ¼ cup,
- Boiled mashed potato: ¼ cup,
- Beaten yogurt (dahi): ¼ cup,
- Coriander chutney (hari dhania chutney),
- Sweet and sour chutney (mithi chutney),
- Red chilly powder (lal mirch powder),
- Cumin powder (zeera powder),
- Thin Sev,
- Chaat masala,
- Cut each bread in four pieces.
- Put butter on both sides of the bread.
- Toast them on pan from both side till they become brown and crispy.
- Mash together boiled chana and boiled potatoes and mix some chaat masala to it.
- Take beaten yogurt and mix little sugar and salt to it.
- Put the bread pieces on serving plate.
- Put chana potato mixture on it.
- Now add chopped onions, coriander, chilly.
- After this pour coriander chutney, sweet sour chutney and beaten yogurt on it.
- Now sprinkle red chilly powder, cumin powder, sev and little lemon juice on it.
- Bread chana chaat is ready.Serve immediately.
2. You can toast bread ahead of time whenever you want to serve bread chana chaat just put everything together.
3. Bread chana chaat should be served immediately after making otherwise it will become soggy.
4. If you boil the chana separately the prep time will increase to 25-30 minutes.