Dahi vada or Dahi Bhalla is very famous snack which is usually made from lentils or urad dal and needs lot of preparations and deep frying at the end. To make it a lot easier, here is a quick alternate recipe that can be made in no time, with no cooking, just with some common ingredients available at home.
These bread dahi vadas are very easy, instant and above all does not require any frying. We will cover these vadas with creamy yogurt topping, sweet chutney and spices. Once prepared you should serve these dahi vada immediately. You can accompany these delicious bread dahi vadas with other crispy snacks like samosa bites, tortilla samosa or namak pare. They are so yummy that I promise you will make them again and again.
For these scrumptious bread dahi vada’s you can use either white or wheat bread. I used almonds and cashews to give it little crunch. To give it a little sweet twist I added some raisins to the filling. I also added little green chillies in the mixture, but if you wish you can skip it and just add red chilly powder at the end. One thing to remember here is that when you are making the bread wet, do not dip bread inside the milk just pour some milk over it otherwise bread will get very soft and break.
You can watch my easy to follow step by step instructional video recipe:
Bread Dahi Vada Video Recipe
Bread Dahi Vada Detailed Recipe Card
- Milk: ½ cup,
- Raisins: 2 tbs,
- Bread Slices: 6-7,
- Grated dry coconut: ½ cup,
- Chopped cashews: 8-10,
- Chopped almonds: 8-10,
- Fine chopped green chilly: 1,
- Cilantro or coriander leaves: 2 tbs chopped,
- For Serving---
- Beaten Yogurt: ½ cup,
- Sweet and sour chutney,
- Cumin powder,
- Chilly powder,
- Sugar: ¼ tsp,
- Salt to taste
- Use a small bowl to cut the bread in circles.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add dry grated coconut, green chilly, cilantro, cashews, almonds, raisins and a pinch of salt.
- Mix everything well and keep it aside.
- Take a bread piece pour some milk on it with spoon.
- Now put generous amount of coconut stuffing on bread and fold it.
- Squeeze it a little and seal the corners.
- Keep it on the serving plate. Do the same with all bread pieces.
- Now, for serving, prepare the beaten yogurt by adding little sugar and pinch of salt.
- Mix it well and pour it generously on vadas.
- Pour some sweet and sour chutney, sprinkle some cumin powder and red chilly powder.
- Serve it immediately.
2. For this recipe use sandwich bread if possible.
3. You can see my sweet chutney recipe it goes very good with this recipe. I love to serve these yummy Dahi Vadas with Tortilla samosa.
4. If you like crispy dahi vada you can deep fry the vadas after filling.