Bread Uttapam / uthappam/ Uthappa are a thick pancake or dosa cooked along with the veggies. Serve bread uttapam hot with your favorite chutney and a cup of tea. Tastes Heaven!
Uttapam is a famous South Indian breakfast and is usually made with dosa batter which needs significant prep work. This recipe of making bread uttapam is really easy and quick as the batter does not need to be fermented and all the ingredients are easily available at home.
I always prefer quick, easy and yet healthy breakfast in mornings while everyone is in hurry. Usually I make sandwiches, omlets, parathas, dosas, uttapams or something similar that is fresh, healthy and filling.
Bread Uttapam Ingredients
I have been a big fan of dosas, idlis and uttapam from my childhood. My mom still makes best dosas and uttapams in the world :). The smell of fresh bread uttapams with a cup of coffee or tea still makes me so hungry. But sometimes I feel very lazy to make batter and then keep for fermentations for hours. This is when this quick bread uttapam recipe comes handy. It is delicious alternate to skip all soaking, grinding and fermentation. Make fresh and instant bread uttapam whenever you like.
Kids love this bread uttapam as it tastes little sour due to yogurt. I added lot of fresh veggies in this uttapam to make it healthy and flavorful. You can use whatever fresh seasonal veggies available at your place. I like to make these Bread Uttapams in small disk shapes. That way they are easy to handle and look cute. I prefer to serve these cuties hot with coriander chutney or coconut chutney and with a cup of hot coffee or tea. Sounds yummy, isn’t it!
This bread Uttapam can be made with any type of bread– white, whole wheat or multigrain. In the batter I used all-purpose flour (maida) but you can also use whole wheat flour (atta) in this recipe.
When you make the batter for bread uttapams check the consistency of the batter as shown in video. Batter should be of medium consistency. If it is too runny or too thick it will difficult to handle Uttapams on the pan they will not come out good. Make sure that bread uttapams are fully cooked from both the sides before serving.
Watch my instant Bread Uttapam Recipe video with easy to follow instructions
Bread Uttapam recipe card below:
- Bread: 4-5 pieces,
- Thick yogurt/ curd: ½ cup,
- Coarse rava/ sooji/semolina: ½ cup,
- All purpose flour/ maida: 2 tbsp,
- Water: ½ cup,
- Fine chopped tomatoes: ½ cup,
- Chopped onions: ½ cup,
- Chopped bell pepper or capsicum: ½ cup,
- Salt to taste,
- Cooking Oil
- Take out the bread crusts and break it into small pieces.
- In a grinder add curd, rava, all-purpose flour,bread pieces, water.
- Grind everything to a thick, smooth and even paste.
- Take out the mixture in a bowl.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped capsicum and little salt.
- Mix everything and make a thick batter.
- If you think batter is too thick add little water at this time.
- Heat the pan at medium heat and spread some oil on it.
- Pour spoonful of batter and spread it to make a small and thick bread uttapam or pancake.
- Pour some oil around uttapam to make it crispy.
- Flip it over and cook till bread uttapam or pancake become nice and crispy from both sides.
- Serve bread uttapam with your favorite chutney or sauce.
2. Batter should be of medium consistency, it should not be too runny or thick otherwise bread uttapams or pancake will not come out good.
3. You can use more veggies like grated carrots, chopped spring onions, fine chopped cabbage in this recipe.