This Coconut Rice is a Goan recipe that is simple one-pot recipe and even beginners can make it. Have it at home or just pack it in the lunch box. If you like the flavor of coconut you are surely going to love it. I make this exotic coconut pulao quite often as it’s my hubbys favorite. It tastes best when served warm with plain yogrut or raita.
This coconut rice is gently sautéed in oil, spices and vegetables and cooked in coconut milk on slow flame so that rice absorbs all the flavors and aroma. This recipe can be made with or without onions. You can also choose other vegetables like carrots, corn, capsicum etc. in this rice. Adding cashew makes this rice more rich and delicious.
Once done slowly and gently fluff the rice with fork so that the rice grains get separated. Serve it hot or warm.
Check out step by step easy to follow instructional Video Recipe:
Coconut Milk Rice Pulao Recipe Card:
- Basmati rice: 1 and ½ cups (soaked in water for 2 hrs),
- Cumin seeds (Zeera): 2 tsp,
- Bay leaves: 3,
- Peppercorns (Kali Mirch): 1 tsp,
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi): ½ tsp,
- Cinnamon sticks (Dalchini): 2 sticks,
- Green beans: ½ cup cut in 1 inch pieces,
- Fine chopped onion: 1,
- Peas fresh or frozen: ½ cup,
- Coconut milk: 1 cup,
- Water: 2 cups,
- Roasted cashew pieces: ½ cup,
- Chopped cilantro (coriander leaves): 1 tbs,
- Salt: to taste,
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan at medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, pepper corns and fry for few seconds.
- Now add onions and sauté till they become soft and change color.
- Add beans, and peas, sauté for 2-3 minutes. Now add turmeric powder and green chillies. Mix it well.
- Now, add rice and sauté for few more minutes.
- Add coconut milk and water. Mix it and wait for mixture to boil.
- When the mixture starts to boil add salt, mix it and reduce the heat to low, cover the lid and cook for 25 to 30 minutes till liquid is absorbed and rice becomes soft.
- Remove from stove: fluff up the rice with fork. Garnish with roasted/fried cashew pieces and coriander leaves. Enjoy this rice with curd.
2. Once the rice is done don’t mix it too much just fluff it with the fork otherwise it will become mushy.
3. You can use more vegetables like carrots, potatoes in this recipe.
4. I prefer to use basmati rice in this recipe but you can also use some other rice.
5.Foe best taste cook coconut rice on slow flame.