Dum Aloo recipe with easy to follow instruction video. This creamy restaurant style dum aloo is my family favorite. You can enjoy these dum aloo with naan, lachha paratha, pooris or even with zeera rice.
Dum aloo is made in many different ways and according to its region they also got their names like Punjabi style dum aloo, Kashmiri dum aloo, Bengali style dum aloo, even dhaba style dum aloo and more. Every recipe of making these dum aloo is different from each other but one thing remains common that they all are cooked under pressure (also called “dum”).
Today I am posting this recipe of Restaurant style rich Dum Aloo with creaminess of cashews and flavors of whole spices and kasoori methi.
This dum aloo recipe is very simple and easy to follow. Here roasted potatoes are cooked in spicy creamy gravy on slow heat till potatoes absorb all the flavors. I also like this recipe as it is one pot and does not require any grinding or fine chopping of ingredients. This dum aloo is made in pressure cooker that saves lots of time and energy.
I often make this restaurant style dum aloo for parties, potlucks and get togethers. If you are looking for more quick and easy party recipes you may also like shahi paneer, achaari baingan, karahi mushrooms, Bhindi ka salan . You can also check curry and vegetable section of the blog.
Dum Aloo Video Recipe
Dum Aloo Recipe Card
- Boiled potates small size: 8-10
- Bay leaf (Tej patta): 1
- Cinnamon stick (dalchini):1-2
- Big cardamom: 1
- Small cardamom: 1
- Cumin seeds: 1tsp
- Sliced onions: 1 cup
- Ginger: ½”
- Garlic: 3-4
- Pepper corns: 8-10
- Milk: ¼ cup
- Cashews: ¼ cup
- Cumin powder: ½ tsp
- Coriander powder: 2 tsp
- Thick plain curd or yogurt: ¼ cup
- Small size boiled potatoes: 10-12
- Red chilly powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: ⅓ tsp
- Dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi): 1tbsp
- Fine chopped coriander leaves: 1tsp
- Oil, salt and water
- In a pressure cooker add almost ¼ cup of oil.
- When oil is hot enough add bay leaf, small and big cardamom, cinnamon stick, pepper corns and cumin seed.
- Saute spices for few seconds and add chopped onions, ginger, garlic and salt.
- Mix everything and cook till onions become soft and light brown in color.
- Now add 1 cup of water and take 5-6 whistles. After 6 whistles switch off the heat and let the pressure cooker cool down before opening.
- In a meanwhile heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Transfer boiled potatoes to the pan. Sprinkle some salt, red chilly powder and turmeric powder.
- Roast the potatoes for some time till they become golden brown from all the sides and keep them aside.
- Also in a mixer, grind together milk and cashews to paste and keep it aside.
- Now open the pressure cooker and switch on the heat to medium.
- Smash all the garlic pieces with your spatula, sauté and cook till onion mixture losses oil.
- Once mixture loses oil, add cashew paste and cook for a minute.
- Now add turmeric powder, chilly powder coriander powder and mix well.
- Add thick curd and cook till masala loses oil again.
- Now add kasoori methi, mix and add roasted potatoes.
- Saute and cook potatoes in masala for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add ½ cup of water and cook dum aloo for 7-8 minutes.
- Dum aloo is ready to serve.
- Garnish it with fine chopped coriander leaves and chopped almonds.