Egg Omelet or Egg Omelette recipe: Indian style egg omelet or omelette with some spices and fresh herbs. This is one of my favorite breakfast. I like this bread omelet as it does not require much prep work, you have all the ingredients available at home and it can be made in jiffy.
If I go back to my home town and don’t visit Wahid’s omelet shop I would consider my trip as half fulfilled. If you even go close to his shop you can smell that captivating aroma of freshly cooked omelets every minute. Specially popular during winters, people would queue up to have that special Omelet while chatting around with friends.
In this egg omelet or egg omelettte recipe I tried to get close to Wahid’s omelet. What make it unique is primarily how it served with little sprinkle of chat masala, bread right embedded into omelet and served with loose tomato chutney. It is this entire combination that makes it different.
Egg is one thing which is always available in my fridge. My family love eggs and I like to cook it in many ways like egg cheese toast, egg paratha, egg curry or simply boiled eggs. I like this egg omelette best when my hubby makes it for me . Egg recipes are quite filling and healthy too. You can also add fine chopped green onions and very fine chopped bell peppers to make a different version of same egg omelet.
In India, you can see lots of vendors selling street food during evening like omelet, tawa pulao, egg paratha roll, pav bhaji, vada pav, and the list is endless.
Sometimes I keep this egg omelette for my kid’s lunch box as he liked it cold. For me I like it when it is hot. You can serve this bread omelette with tomato ketchup but it tastes best with spicy tomato and coriander chutney.
Let’s start step by step process of making bread egg omelet
A. Chop onions, green chilly and coriander leaves very fine.
B. In a bowl, break two eggs and add chopped onions, green chilly, coriander leaves, salt and black pepper to it.
C. Whisk everything gently.
D. Heat the pan (I prefer using nonstick pan) at medium heat and pour 1 table spoon oil on it.
E & F. Pour the beaten egg mixture on the pan and spread it all over the pan.
G. Cook till it is almost half done then take two pieces of bread and put them on the omelet. Since the omelet is half cooked and wet bread will stick to the omelet.
H. Let it cook for couple of minutes and then check the other side of the omelet if it is fully cooked (make sure it should not burn).
I & J. Once the down side of the omelet is fully cooked turn the omelet gently with the spatula and cook it from this side. Gently press the breads.
K. Sprinkle some chat masala over the omelet, fold it to half and it is ready to serve.
L. Serve bread egg omelette with spicy tomato coriander chutney.
Egg Omelet | Egg Omelette Recipe Card
- Eggs: 4,
- Fine chopped onions: 4 tbsp,
- Fine chopped coriander leaves: 2 tbsp,
- Fine chopped green chilly: 2,
- Black pepper,
- Bread pieces: 4
- Mix together eggs, onions, coriander leaves, green chilly, salt and black pepper.
- Whisk them gently.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil at medium hot pan and pour egg mixture on it.
- Spread the mixture over the pan and cook till it is almost half done.
- When omelet is half done take the bread pieces and put them on the omelet.
- Let it cook for couple of minutes and check the other side with the help of spatula. If it is brown and cooked turn it over and cook from this side.
- Gently press the bread and cook till omelet is brown from both the sides.
- Once omelet is nice brown from both the sides it is ready to serve. If you like sprinkle some chat masala on it.
- Serve bread egg omelette with tomato ketchup or tomato coriander chutney.