Idli fry-a quick snack made with left over idlis,served with spicy coconut chutney.
Using left over food is not a big art. Just mix and match some spices, some veggies and a brand new dish is on the way. In this recipe I used left over Rava Idlis and fried them with sesame seeds and some spices. In fact, this recipe is so tasty that you may end up making Idli’s just for having them as Idli fry next day. I do that quite often myself .
In this recipe, we will sauté idlis with special tadka made with sesame, cumin and mustard seeds. Sesame seeds make these idlis more aromatic and crunchy. I always make more idlis for lunch and then shallow fry them in the evening or next day for breakfast. I like to have these idli fry with a hot cup of Indian chai (tea). Just amazing!
You can use any type of Idli in this recipe. I have used Rava or Sooji Idli as it is my favorite. For tadka I used sesame seeds and cumin seeds. If you are using plane idlis, add some mustard seeds also in tadka. Sauté these idlis till they become little crispy. Sprinkle some lemon juice, fresh coriander leaves and green chillies and idli fry is ready to serve.
Serve idli fry hot with all the last bit of masala from the pan. You can have them with tomato ketchup or coconut chutney.
Idli Fry- a quick step by step video on how to make idli fry at home:
Idli fry detailed recipe card below:
- Idli :6-7,
- Cumin (Jeera) seeds: 1 tsp,
- Turmeric (haldi) powder: ½ tsp,
- Red chilly (lal mirch) powder: ½ tsp,
- Sesame seeds: 1 tbsp,
- Lemon juice: 1 tsp,
- Slit green chilly; 2-3,
- Coriander or cilantro leaves (hara dhania): 2 tbsp,
- Cut each idli in four pieces.
- Heat pan on medium high heat and add oil to it.
- Add jeera and sesame seed to it. Sauté till sesame seed turn light brown in color.
- Now add turmeric powder and red chilly powder to it.
- Mix everything and add chopped idlis, slit green chilly and sauté till idli become crisp.
- Now add lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves to it. Serve them with your favorite chutney.
2. You can also add some roasted crushed peanuts before adding the lemon juice.
3. You can use any kind of idlis for this recipe.