Indian style pasta recipe : Ideal for kids tiffin box, breakfast or brunch. Learn how to make easy step by step Indian style pasta which can be made in minutes. I also call this method of making pasta as pasta upma as it is made with similar spices as used in upma.
Pasta does not need any introduction. It originated in Italy and now famous all over the world and especially famous among kids. My kids love to eat pasta and I often make it for their lunch box or dinner.
There are numerous varieties of pastas available in market which come in all shapes and sizes. Now a days they are also made with quinoa, whole wheat flour, tomato, spinach and many more healthy ingredients. I mostly like to use spinach or tomato pasta for my kids and on top I add more veggies so it is a win win situation for both me and kids. Result- happy kids and happy mom
In making this Indian style pasta recipe I used simple white butterfly style pasta as I ran out of my pasta stock. This recipe is made in three steps. First boil the pasta, then make masala and finally mix everything together.
Talking about boiling of pasta I usually overcook the pasta so it is easy to digest for kids. I only add salt while boiling pasta and avoid adding oil as oil makes pasta slippery and sauce and spices does not stick to it properly.
To reduce the time of cooking I like to use frozen veggies but you can use fresh boiled veggies too. Also I did not add any Italian seasoning as I wanted to keep it close to Indian flavors but you can use some cheese and seasoning according to your choice.
Indian Style Pasta Video Recipe
Indian Style Pasta Detailed Recipe Card
- Pasta (any type): 1½ cup
- Fine chopped onions: ¼ cup
- Thin sliced potatoes: ¼ cup
- Freshly grated ginger and garlic: 1 tbsp
- Frozen or fresh Mix veg (corns, peas, carrots, beans): 1 cup
- Fine chopped tomatoes: Two medium size
- Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp
- Red chilly powder: ¼ or ½ tsp according to taste
- Coriander powder: ½ tsp
- Lemon or lime juice: ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds: ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds: ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves: 4-5
- Tomato ketchup (optional): 1-2 tsp according to taste
- Olive oil: 2tbps
- Butter: 1tbsp
- Coriander leaves, Salt
- Boil pasta in water with little salt. Cook till pasta is soft.
- Strain pasta and keep little water from pasta in a bowl aside.
- Heat the pan/ wok/ karahi at medium heat. Add oil.
- Once oil is hot. Add curry leaves, cumin and mustard seeds.
- Sauté and add onions, potatoes and salt.
- Mix well, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or till potatoes are soft.
- Stir couple of times in between. Once potatoes are soft add boiled or frozen veggies, tomatoes and mix them well.
- Cover and cook till tomatoes are very soft and mushy. It may take 7-8 minutes.
- If mixture is getting dry add some reserved pasta water at this time.
- Once tomatoes are soft enough add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and coriander powder.
- Mix them well and stir boiled pasta. Mix gently.
- Now pour some butter, lemon juice, coriander leaves and if you like little sweet taste add some tomato ketchup.
- Mix everything gently.
- Pasta is ready to serve.