Rava idli recipe: quick and easy super soft melt in mouth rava idlis recipe which do not need grinding or fermenting.
Steaming soft and fluffy Rava (Sooji/Samolina) Idlis with coconut coriander chutney– an amazing south Indian Breakfast! These instant rava idlis not just tasty and refreshing, but also very easy and quick.
These spongy and mouthwatering rava Idlis are variants of traditional type of Idlis that are made with rice and urad dal grinded together and kept for fermentation for some hours. But these Idlis are instant and do not require any grinding or fermentation. This instant rava idli recipe is ideal for hurry burry mornings.
In making these Idlis I used coarse rava (sooji, semolina) that works best with this recipe. Other type of rava would not give good Idlis. You can choose to make them with or without veggies. In this version I used grated carrots and cashews to give Idlis more texture and taste. Also I used ENO powder that I feel works best in making these rava Idlis. As a substitute you can also use baking powder.
Enjoy these Rava Idlis any time- at breakfast, lunch or dinner. These are best enjoyed with sambhar and coconut chutney. And after having them, if you have any more leftovers you can make sesame idli fry with them, another amazing variant of Idli you will love.
Check out my easy to follow step by step instructional video recipe of rava idli for more details:
You can also find more quick breakfast recipes in breakfast section.
Rava idli recipe card below:
- Upma or coarse Rava (Sooji or semolina): 2 cups,
- Eno fruit salt: 2 tsp,
- Mustard seeds: 2 tsp,
- Urad dal: 2 tsp,
- Plain yogurt (curd or dahi): 1 cup,
- Water: 1 cup,
- Grated carrot: ½ cup,
- Roasted cashew pieces: 2 tbsp,
- Curry leaves: 8 -10,
- Fine chopped green chilly: 2,
- Cooking Oil
- Heat little oil in pan at medium heat.
- Add, mustard seeds, curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Now add urad dal to it and fry everything till urad dal become light brown in color.
- Now add grated carrot and saute for few seconds.
- After that add coarse or upma rava to this mixture and saute till rava become light brown in color. It might take 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer rava in a bowl and add cashew in it.
- Let the mixture cool down to room temperature.
- When mixture is cold enough add yogurt and give it a mix.
- Now slowly add water and mix and make thick smooth batter.
- Add salt to it and mix everything well. Now take out half of the mixture in other bowl.
- Add eno just before making the idlis.
- Transfer the batter to idli stand and steam them for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve these hot and yummy idlis with coconut chutney and sambhar.
2. Mix Eno powder just before steaming the idlis otherwise idlis will not come out spongy.
3. You can roast rava ahead of time and store in air tight container in freezer for long time.