Lachha paratha recipe with step by step video: I have put together 5 ways of making lachha paratha or multilayer paratha that I find very easy and fun to try. There is no better one than the other and I recommend to try all of them and find your best one (s).
There are many ways of making lachha paratha. Many more than I have put together here, but I feel these 5 ways the easiest ones to try and mostly work for me. They are tried and tested to give that perfect lachha paratha with flaky layers. You can serve these yummy lachhedar parathas with curries like matar paneer, rajma masala, Bhindi ka salan, achari baingan. Find more curry recipes in curry and vegetable section of my blog.
In making lachha paratha, basic methods of kneading the dough, rolling the parathas and tawa frying are same. Only difference is in making the layers. I have used half and half of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour but you also use only whole wheat flour or only all-purpose flour. Also I kneaded the dough with milk which gives softness and crispness to these parathas. If you want you can also use water.
Here are some more tips on How to make that perfect lachha paratha:
1. Knead the dough medium soft- not very hard or very soft.
2. After the kneading, it is very important to leave the dough for 15 minutes to rest.
3. Apply generous amount of oil and sprinkle dry flour on the rolled dough to help keeping the layers intact.
4. While rolling lachha paratha use very gentle hands and do not roll paratha very thin, otherwise layers will smudge and will not come in proper way.
5. While cooking lachha paratha gently press it from all the sides and cook them from both the side till it become brown and crispy.
6. To open the layers of lachha parata just crush the paratha gently between your palms.
Lachha Paratha Recipe Video
Lachha Paratha Detailed Recipe Card
- Whole wheat flour: 1 cup,
- All purpose flour: 1 cup,
- Baking soda: ⅛ tsp or 2 pinch,
- Salt: 1 tsp,
- Sugar: 1tbsp,
- Milk or water: little less than 1 cup,
- In a mixing bowl add both the flours, salt, sugar, baking soda and mix them.
- Now I’ll add milk or water and knead a smooth and soft dough.
- Now apply little oil on the dough and cover it with damp towel and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes knead dough once again and divide it in 6-8 balls.
- Now take one ball, dip it in the dry flour and roll it to a disc.
- Now you can make layers in different ways. Watch my video for instructions to make layers in different ways.
- Once layered ball is ready, roll them to disc again.
- Heat the pan at medium heat and put the rolled paratha on it.
- Once you see bubbles turn it over and apply oil on paratha and gently press it from all the side.
- Now turn it over again and apply oil on this side too.
- Gently press it and cook till you see brown spots on both sides of paratha.
- Now hold the cooked paratha in your hands and gently crush it. This will give nice flaky layers to paratha.
- Lachha paratha is ready. Serve it with your favorite curry.
2. After kneading it is very important to leave the dough for 15 minutes to rest.
3. Apply generous amount of oil and sprinkle dry flour on the rolled dough will make layers intact.
4. While rolling lachha paratha use very gentle hands otherwise layers will disappear.
5. Do not roll paratha very thin otherwise layers will smudge and will not come in proper way.
6. While cooking lachha paratha gently press it from all the sides and cook them from both the side till it become brown and crispy.
7. To open the layers of lachha parata just crush the paratha gently between your palms.