Lobia recipe or black eyed bean recipe with step by step video in Hindi. this lobia ki sabzi is Punjabi style lobia curry made in onion tomato gravy.
Lobia also known as Chawli in Hindi and black eyed peas in English. There are different ways of making black eyed peas. It is high in protein, easy to make and goes very well with roti, paratha and rice. This North Indian lobia curry is super yum and easy.
Black eyed beans are made in different ways in different states of India. You can make Punjabi lobia curry, Gujrati style lobia recipe , Pakistani style lobia masala or Marathi style lobia sabzi.
Sometimes when you are in hurry but want to eat something filling and delicious this lobia curry is a good option. Lobia does not require long soaking hours like rajma and chole. If you soaked it for 1 hour then it cooks in 20 – 25 minutes. If soaked for 2-3 hours it gets cooked in 15-20 minutes. Sometimes if you want to make it immediately just add little baking soda and cook it for 30-40 minutes in pressure cooker. Always use pressure cooker to cook lobia otherwise it will take very long time to cook.
This Punjabi style lobia recipe is very flavorful and tastes amazing. Now here is a small trick to make black eyed beans curry so delicious. Add some chole masala and kasoori methi. Trust me it gives nice kick to lobia masala. You can also add rajma masala instead to chole masala.
Lobia recipe or Black eyed peas curry Recipe Video:
How to make Lobia recipe or Black eyed peas curry:
- Lobia or black eyed peas: 1 cup
- Fine chopped onions: ⅔ cup
- Tomato puree: ⅔ cup ( grind 2 medium size tomatoes in mixer)
- Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp
- Red chilly powder: ½ tsp
- Coriander powder: 1tbsp
- Garam masala: 1tsp
- Fenugreek leaves: 1tbsp
- Chole masala: 1tsp
- Chopped garlic: 4 cloves
- Tej patta: 1smaal
- Cinnamon stick: 1 small size
- Cloves: 2-3
- Pepper corns: 4-5
- Big cardamom: 1
- Wash and soak lobia or black eyed peas for 4-5 hours.
- After 5 hours transfer lobia in pressure cooker and put water.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Water should be ½" or ¾ " above the lobia.
- Cook lobia till it is tender.
- Don't over cook it . It will take 1-2 whistles to cook it completely.
- Now let's make gravy for lobia.
- Heat wok or kadai on medium heat.
- Add oil and let it heat for some time.
- Once oil is little hot add tej patta, cinnamon stick, big cardamom, cloves and pepper corns.
- Saute and add garlic ginger and cook till garlic turns pink.
- Now add onions, salt and mix well.
- Cook till onions are brown and crisp.
- Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander and chole masala.
- Mix everything well and cook for few seconds.
- Now add tomato puree mix well and cook till gravy looses oil.
- When oil separates from gravy add boiled lobia.
- Mix well and with the help of ladle mash some lobia.
- Now add fenugreek leaves and garam masala.
- Saute well and boil lobia curry for 4-5 minutes.
- Lobia ki sabzi is ready. Garnish with fine chopped coriander leaves, slit green chili and lemon juice.
- Serve lobia curry with rice or chapati.