Mater paneer recipe with easy step by step video. This shadi wala halwai style matar paneer comes out super delicious and it is very easy to do.
Matar paneer is one of the most popular Indian curries. There are many ways of making paneer curries. Most popular are paneer butter masala, paneer tikka masala, paneer masala, paneer pasanda, and the list is endless.
I have already posted simple home made paneer matar recipe which is easy, quick and made in pressure cooker. Whereas this matar paneer recipe is little different. I learned it from a cook who usually makes food in Indian marriages. This recipe turns out little more spicy, flavorful and smoother than my other home style matar paneer. You can make this paneer sabzi for parties, potlucks and get-togethers.
Matar paneer goes well with parathas, naan and even with steamed rice. At home I usually make it with simple roti and raita and some time with kulcha and naan.
If you are looking for more such non paneer recipes do try my kaddu ki sabzi, dum aloo, gobi tikka masala recipes.
Matar Paneer recipe Video:
Matar Paneer recipe card:
- Paneer: 350 gms
- Green peas: ½ cup
- Onion: 2 medium size
- Tomatoes: 2 large or 3 small
- Cashews: little more than ¼ cup
- Cumin seeds ( zeera): 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: ¾ tsp
- Kasmiri lal mirch : 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tbsp
- Kasoori methi: 1 tbsp
- Garam masala: ½ tsp
- Sugar: ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Tej patta: 1
- Cloves: 3
- Green cardamom (choti elaychi): 3
- Big cardamom (badi elaychi): 1
- Garlic: 5-6 cloves
- Ginger: ½”
- Oil: ½ cup
- Take a bowl and add 2 cups of warm water in it.
- Add ¼ tsp of haldi and mix well.
- Cut paneer in pieces.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in and fry paneer pieces till they become slight brown.
- Add paneer pieces in haldi water and keep it aside.
- In a grinder jar add fine chopped tomatoes, fine chopped onions, ginger, garlic, cashews, cloves, small cardamom, big cardamom.
- Grind to paste. Try not to add water.
- Heat oil in big pan at medium high heat. Add tej patta and zeera.
- Let zeera splatter.
- Now add Kashmiri lal mirch and haldi powder mix well.
- Add onion tomatoes paste and add salt. Mix it well.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium and cook masala for few minutes.
- Now open the lid and sauté well.
- Cover it again and cook masala till it loses oil.
- Keep mixing it after every few minutes to avoid burning.
- Once masala loses oil add dhania powder, garam masala and cook for some time.
- Now add green peas and cook for some time.
- Now add fried paneer pieces, kasoori methi and cook for few minutes.
- Add water, sugar and cook paneer for some time.
- Switch off the heat and garnish it with fine chopped coriander leaves.