Meethe chawal or yellow sweet rice recipe with step by step video in Hindi. Learn how to make khile khile Meethe chawal in a very easy way.
Meethe chawal or Indian sweet rice is a light dessert and is fun and easy to make. Flavored with saffron, garnished with nuts it a treat for eyes and mouth.
Here I have use basmati rice to make sweet yellow rice. You can also make meethe chawal with sella rice. method is very easy but needs little precision as rice can get mushy very soon.
Meethe chawal is specially made in the festival of Basant Panchami. Vasant panchami is celebrated for different reasons in different parts of India. In some regions it is celebrated for Goddess Saraswati . Goddess of art, learning and music. Vasanth Panchmi is also celebrated for love. Where people wear yellow clothes and make this yellow sweet rice.
Sweet rice or meethe chawal also resembles with zarda rice or zarda pulao . Zarda pulao is very famous dish made during Ramadan. The only difference we also use khoya or mawa along with nuts.
There are different ways of making meethe chawal. Meethe chawal with jaggery , meethe chawal with sugar and meethe chawal in pressure cooker. I found his way the easiest. Do try it and I am sure you will love it for sure.
If you are looking for more festive recipes do try my sooji halwa, mandir wale khichdi, sabubana khichdi, gulab jamun.
Meethe chawal – Yellow sweet rice recipe:
- Basmati rice: 1 cup
- Water: 2 cups
- Saffron or kesar: 20 strands
- Cloves: 5
- Small cardamom: 2
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Sliced coconut: 2-3 tbsp
- Sliced lmonds: 7-8
- Cashew halver: 3tbsp
- Dates cliced: 4-5
- Ghee or clarified butter: 2 tbsp
- Wash and soak rice in water for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours drain out the water.
- Now heat a pan at high heat and add 2 cups of water.
- To this add saffron strings, 2 cloves and1 small cardamom.
- Add soaked and drained rice and mix everything.
- Take a boil.
- As soon as water starts boiling reduce to heat to lowest , cover the pan.
- Let the rice cook for 12-14 minutes.
- On the half way, after 6 minutes stir the rice very gently.
- Cover the pan again and let it cook for another 6-7 minutes.
- When 12 minutes completes, open the pan, gently fluff the rice.
- Switch off the heat and keep the rice aside.
- For making tadka, take a pan and heat it on high heat.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of ghee and let it melt.
- Spread the ghee evenly on pan.
- Now add 3 cloves and 1 small cardamom.
- Let them crackle a bit and add cooked rice.
- Mix very gently otherwise rice grains will break and rice will become mushy.
- Now add a cup full of sugar and give a gentle mix.
- Cover the pan cook for a minute.
- After a minute , open the pan and cook the rice till sugar water evaporates.
- When rice becomes little dry add half of cashews, half coconut slices, half dates and half of the almond.
- Mix everything very gently, reduce the heat to lowest , cover the pan and cook rice for 1-2 more minutes.
- Now give a very gentle mix,
- Switch off the heat.
- Sweet rice is ready to serve
- Take it out in a bowl and garnish it with leftover nuts.
Sweet rice video – Meethe chawal recipe video: