Mix Vegetable Recipe: Mix veg is a combination of common household veggies cooked in simple spices and flavored with aroma of kasuri methi. This mix vegetable goes very well with roti, chapati or rice.
This is an easy everyday mix vegetable sabzi recipe which I cook often in my kitchen. I have also posted restaurant style mix veg recipe earlier. This mix vegetable recipe is easy and made with simple ingredients.
The perfect combination of spices and vegetables gives this mix vegetable an amazing taste, flavors and aroma. I learned it from my mom. Mom’s food is always best. I think rather than spices it’s their love that makes food so tasty and special. As it is my mom’s recipe, this mix vegetable recipe is very close to my heart. I still remember my childhood memories of eating fresh warm mix vegetables with hot parathas in cold winter afternoons. So comforting and satisfying.
Taking about today’s mix vegetable recipe, it’s so simple that even beginners can make it. This mix vegetable can be made quickly with very less spices. Choose any veggies you like or you have in your fridge, just follow the steps and you will get same amazing taste.
Here is the step by step process to make home style mix vegetables.
1. Wash carrots, potatoes, onions, tomatoes in water. Chop onion in thin slices. Keep aside. Chop Carrots, potatoes in bite size pieces. Keep them aside. Roughly chop tomatoes. Crush fenugreek leaves with fingers to enhance the flavor.
2. Heat ¼ cup of oil in kadai/wok at medium heat. Add dry red chilly, stir for few seconds and add sliced onions. Cook onions for 2-3 minutes till they become slight pink. We don’t want to cook onion too much just turn them little pink.
3. Now add carrots, peas, potatoes, tomatoes and kasoori methi/ fenugreek leaves. Give them a nice stir. Add all the spices, ½ cup of water, mix everything well and cover the kadai.
4. Cook the veggies on medium flame till they are half done. Stir the veggies couple of times in between to avoid burning. Till now your kitchen will be fragrant with kasoori methi smell. Oh boy! I love it.
5. Check the veggies if they are half done, give them a nice stir, cover them again and reduce the heat to medium low and let them cook for 10-15 minutes on dum in their own juices. Don’t forget to sauté them couple of times in between.
6. Once the veggies are fully cooked and you see oil separates, switch of the heat. Serve mixed vegetable with hot parathas or chpati. Mmmmmmmmm… so yummy.
Enjoy this mix vegetable with chapatti, poori, paratha or plain steamed rice.
Here is the detailed recipe card for Mix Vegetables
- Onion: 1 small,
- Tomatoes: 2,
- Carrots: 3,
- Potatoes: 2 medium size,
- Frozen green peas: ⅔ cup,
- Kasoori methi/ Fenugreek leaves: 3tbsp,
- Dry red chilly: 2,
- Turmeric/ haldi powder: ½ tsp,
- Red chilly /lal mirch powder: 1tsp,
- Coriander/dhania powder: 2tsp,
- Cumin/jeera powder: 1tsp,
- Salt: to taste,
- Oil: ¼ cup,
- Water: ½ cup
- Wash veggies, chop them.
- In a medium hot pan,add oil, dry red chilly cook for few seconds add sliced onion. Stir well.
- Put chop veggies, kasoori methi , tomatoes and mix everything.
- Add spices, ½ cup of water and stir everything well. Cover and cook till veggies are half done.
- Once veggies are half done, reduce the heat to medium low, cover again and cook till veggies become soft.
- Once veggies are fork tender switch of the heat. Mixed vegetable is ready to serve.
2. In this recipe make sure veggies don’t get mushy otherwise taste will change.