Moong dal payasam or kheer recipe – South Indian delicacy often made in festive season. Do watch my step by step video of moong dal payasam for clear instructions.
Kheer or payasam has a very special place in Indian cuisine. It is made on special occasions, festivals and also offered to God as prasadam or naivedyam.
Moong dal payasam is also known as pasi paruppu or pasara pappu payasam in different Indian languages. Moong dal is a type of lentil which is often made with rice or chapati. It is very light and healthy.
Moong dal payasam is very light and healthy sweet which is made mainly with dal, jaggery and coconut milk. If coconut milk is not available you can also use simple milk. I have learned this recipe from my dear friend Usha.
To make it more aromatic green cardamom is used. To give crispness to smooth creamy melt in mouth texture of moong dal payasam some fried nuts are added. This makes it even more delicious.
If you are looking for same recipes you may like fruit cream, chocolate ladoo, moong dal halwa
Moong dal payasam recipe video:
Moong dal payasam recipe card:
- Yellow Split Moong dal: ¼ cup + 1 tbsp
- Coconut milk: 1 cup
- Jaggery or gud : ½ cup
- Water: 1½ cup
- Nuts: 2 tbsp
- Green Cardamom powder: 2 pinch
- Salt: a pinch
- Ghee to fry nuts
- Heat a pan at medium heat.
- Add ½ cup of water and grated jaggery or gud.
- Mix well and cook till jaggery melt and then take a boil.
- Once jaggery starts boiling take it away from heat and let it cool down and then sieve it.
- Now in pressure cooker take dal, add a pinch of salt and one cup of water.
- Mix everything well, close the cooker and take 2-3 whistles or till dal cooks properly.
- After 3 whistles open the cooker , mix dal and add jaggery water.
- Mix it well and add one cup of coconut milk and cardamom powder.
- Mix everything well and take a boil.
- Now switch off the heat. Payasam is ready to serve.
- Garnish it with roasted nuts.