Methi namak pare recipe : crispy snack, excellent when served with a hot cup of tea. The aroma of kasoori methi in methi namak pare makes them different from usual namak pare.
Namak pare is deep fried savory Indian snack which can be made is different shapes and sizes. I like namak pare or matthi as you can make them once, store them and enjoy with tea or coffee for a month and not to mention that they are just so yummy.
Methi namak pare is a variation of simple namak pare with a little twist. Methi namak pare are first made list regular namak pare and then coated with flavorful kasoori methi mixture.
Making these namak pare is very simple. First I would knead the dough. Then roll the dough to a thick chapati (round shape). Cut them in small pieces and then deep fry them till they become nice brown and crispy. And lastly coated them with kasoori methi mixture. Methi flavored namak pare are ready.
I used all pupose flour to make methi namak pare but you can also use 1: 1 mixture of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. I cut these namak pare in cashew shape using bottle cap. You can cut these namak pare in any other shape you like.
Also, here are few things that would be helpful in making perfect namak pare:
- It is very important that dough is kneaded hard and smooth. For that you have to knead the dough at least for 8-10 minutes.
- The oil should be at medium high heat while frying. To check the oil temperature drop small piece of dough in the oil and if it comes up within few seconds it means oil is ready for frying.
- While frying, you have to change the heat couple of times which will help in giving perfect crispness to namak pare. For exact details check my video below.
I highly recommend watching my video which will show step by step clear demonstration on how to make perfect methi namak pare.
Sometimes I make chaat with these methi namak para. Just add chopped onions, tomatoes, green chilly, coriander leaves, some sweet and sour chutney and some coriander chutney. Mix them up and instant chaat is ready.
Methi namak pare recipe card below:
- For Dough>>>
- All-purpose flour (maida) : 1 cup, Salt: ¼ tsp,
- Oil: 3 tbsp, Water: ¼ cup
- Oil for deep Frying
- For Masala (coating)>>>
- Dry Fenugreek leaves (Kasoori methi): 2tbsp
- Oil: 1 tbsp, Red chilly powder: ½ tsp,
- Salt: ¼ tsp Amchoor (dry mango)powder: 1 tsp
- In a bowl add flour, salt and 3 tbsp oil and mix well.
- Now add little water at a time and need smooth but hard dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes take out the dough and knead it once again using little oil in your hands.
- Take small portion of this dough and roll it to a thick chapatti shape.
- Cut it in cashew shape or the shape you like.
- Deep fry these namak paras in oil till they become golden brown.
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp of oil add dry fenugreek leaves, red chilly powder, dry mango powder and salt.
- Mix the spices well.
- Add the namak paras to this mixture and mix them thoroughly with gentle hands.
- Methi namak pare is ready.
2. Roll the dough thicker than chapatti.
3. Temperature is the key to success in this recipe I really recommend you to watch my video which will help you in making perfect namak para.
4. Once cool down you can store methi namak pare in air tight container for almost a week