Paneer Butter Masala is one of the most popular dishes of paneer and is very flavorful and aromatic. This restaurant style rich, creamy paneer butter masala can be made at home in no time.
There are many ways of making paneer butter masala. This is the restaurant style Paneer butter masala recipe which I learned from a chef who works in a famous restaurant. In this recipe the gravy is mainly made with tomatoes, cream and butter where in Punjabi style paneer makhani gravy is made which onion, tomatoes, cream and cashews.
This paneer butter masala has thick, rich, silky gravy and trust me it comes out so good that no one can tell if it is home cooked or brought from a restaurant . It goes very well with jeera rice and naan and kulcha.
Here are some tips and tricks to make perfect restaurant style Paneer butter masala:
- Choose ripe, red tomatoes. Base paneer butter masala gravy is mainly tomatoes. If they are sour, gravy will not taste good.
- Paneer butter masala recipe does not require many spices. Small cardamom and mace (javitri) is very important ingredients so do not skip them.
- Paneer butter masala gravy is all about butter and cream so do not hesitate to use them.
- Adding food color is optional. I like to add it as it gives nice restaurant style reddish color to gravy. If you do not like it just skip it.
- To make the gravy silky it is very important to sieve tomato puree after blending it.
- Do not add too much of water as puneer butter masala gravy is supposed to be thick.
- If you think gravy is little sour add a pinch of sugar at the end.
Do try this Paneer Butter Masala for your next party, potluck or for any get together.
Paneer Butter Masala Video Recipe
Paneer Butter Masala Detailed Recipe Card
- Paneer: 200 gms
- Mace or javitri: 2
- Small cardamom or chhoti elaychi: 3-4
- Tomatoes: 4 medium size
- Fresh cream: ¼ cup
- Butter: 4 tbsp
- Oil: 1 tsp
- Garlic: 3-4 cloves
- Ginger: ½ “
- Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp
- Red chilly powder: ½ tsp
- Kashmiri lal mirch: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: ½ tsp
- Food color (optional)
- Fenugreek leaves or Kasoori methi: 1 tsp
- Salt & Water: 2-3 tbsp
- Chop tomatoes and keep them aside. Grate ginger and garlic and keep it aside.
- Cut paneer in 1” square pieces and keep them aside. Crush small cardamom just to open their mouth and keep them aside.
- Heat pan at medium heat and add oil and 2 tbsp of butter. As the butter melts add mace and small cardamom.
- Saute for about 30 seconds and add ginger garlic.
- Mix well and cook ginger garlic till raw smell is gone.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, salt and cover the tomatoes and cook till tomatoes become soft.
- It may take 5-6 minutes. Saute after every few minutes to avoid burning.
- Once tomatoes are soft enough, switch off the heat and let them cool down.
- When tomatoes are cold grind them to puree.
- Sieve the tomato puree as we want really smooth gravy.
- Again heat the pan at medium low heat.
- Add butter and let it melt.
- As the butter melts, add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and kasmiri lal mirch powder.
- Now add strained tomato puree. Mix well and increase the heat to medium.
- Let the gravy cook for few minutes. If you want you can add food coloring at this time.
- Now add coriander powder mix and let the gravy boil for 2-3 minutes.
- If gravy is too thick add little water at this time.
- Now add fresh cream, mix and add paneer pieces and kasoori methi
- Mix everything and cook for another minute.
- Butter paneer masala is ready.
- Serve it with naan, rice, chapatti or parathas.
2. Paneer butter masala recipe does not require many spices. Small cardamom and mace (javitri) is very important ingredients so do not skip them.
3. Paneer butter masala gravy is all about butter and cream so do not hesitate to use them.
4. Adding food color is optional. I like to add it as it gives nice restaurant style reddish color to gravy. If you do not like it just skip it.
5. To make the gravy silky it is very important to sieve tomato puree after blending it.
6. Do not add too much of water as puneer butter masala gravy is thick.
If you think gravy is little sour add a pinch of sugar at the end.