Potato / Aloo capsicum or aloo shimla mirch is a very easy everyday side dish (sabzi) that goes very well with chapatis, rotis and parathas. To add little crunch and extra zing to this simple aloo capsicum sabzi I added roasted peanuts at the end.
Usually I prefer making less oily sabzi or side dishes at home like aloo baingan, stuff tindora, masala aloo, stuffed bhindi, zeera aloo etc. along with some dal and salad. But I don’t mind adding a little extra oil when it comes to preparing for some special occasion or guests to get that extra taste and gloss of the vegetables.
This potato / aloo capsicum or aloo Shimla mirch can be made with or without garlic. You can use capsicum of any color in this recipe and in fact if you like add mix of all the different colors to give a good colorful look.
Try this aloo capsicum recipe without potatoes too. That tastes pretty good too. If you are in a hurry then you can use pre-boiled potatoes instead of raw potatoes.
Capsicum cooks faster than potatoes so we will cook potatoes till they are half done and then add capsicum to it. Usually I do not add water while making potato aloo capsicum sabzi but if you feel that sabzi is getting too dry and not cooked properly then just sprinkle little water on it, cover and cook it till sabzi is done.
Potato / Aloo Capsicum or Aloo Shimla mirch sabzi with easy to follow instructions
Potato / Aloo capsicum masala or aloo shimla mirch ki sabzi detailed recipe card below:
- Oil : 2 tbsp,
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp,
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp,
- Grated Ginger and garlic: 1 tbsp,
- Turmeric powder: ¾ tsp,
- Chopped potatoes: 1 cup,
- Chopped capsicum: 2½ cup,
- Red chilly powder; ½ tsp,
- Coriander powder: 2 tsp,
- Garam masala powder: ½ tsp,
- Dry mango or amchur powder: 1 tsp,
- Roasted crushed peanuts: ¼ cup,
- Fine chopped coriander leaves: 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan at medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Saute for few seconds.
- Add ginger garlic and mix it well. Add turmeric powder and chopped potatoes.
- Saute everything, cover and cook till potatoes are half done.
- Now add chopped capsicum, salt mix everything well.
- Cover and cook till potatoes is fork tender. In between sauté the sabzi couple of times.
- Now add red chilly powder,coriander powder, garam masala and amchur powder.
- Mix the spices well in sabzi.
- Aloo / potato capsicum is ready to serve. Garnish with roasted peanuts and fine chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve aloo capsicum or aloo Shimla mirch with chapatti, paratha or rice.
2. You can make this potato capsicum with or without garlic.