Potato sandwich or aloo masala sandwich is one common sandwich and old style sandwich. This crisp potato sandwich is made in many ways. I remember it from my childhood my mom use to make it and this used to be one of my favorite sandwiches.
Today I gave a little twist to this simple aloo masala sandwich. I made this potato sandwich using spicy green chutney and covered it with rava and sesame mixture which makes it very tasty and crispy.
Talking about today’s potato sandwich recipe, it is very simple to do. First I made green chutney using coriander, mint, roasted chana dal, sugar, salt, chilly ginger and lime juice. Here adding roasted chana dal is very important in making this chutney as it absorbs the moisture from chutney and make it little dry, which helps in making crispy sandwich. If you do not have roasted chana dal you can also use roasted peanuts.
I have also applied a thin layer of butter before applying the chutney as it prevents bread from absorbing the moisture from chutney and sandwich remains crisp for long time. And to make the sandwich even crisper I also applied a layer of semolina and sesame mixture. I have used white bread but you can also use wheat bread or multigrain bread for this recipe.
This potato sandwich or aloo masala sandwich recipe is very easy to do. It is made with ingredients mostly available at home. It’s a must try for breakfast or tea time snacks. Do try it and let us know how it comes out.
Potato Sandwich / Aloo Masala Sandwich Video Recipe:
Potato Sandwich / Aloo Masala Sandwich recipe card:
- To make chutney:
- Roughly chopped coriander leaves: 1 cup
- Roughly chopped mint leaves: ½ cup
- Roasted chana dal: ¼ cup
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Lime or lemon juice: 1tbps
- Green Chilly: 1-2
- Ginger: ½”
- To make sandwich:
- Bread Slice: 3 cut diagonally
- Boiled mashed potatoes: 1 cup
- Fine chopped onions: ¼ cup
- Cumin seeds: ½ tsp
- Dry mango powder: ½ tsp
- Chilly flakes: ½ tsp
- Semolina (sooji or rava): 2 tbsp
- Sesame seeds: 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Butter at room temperature
- In a mixer jar add coriander leaves, mint leaves, chilly, ginger, roasted chana dal, salt, sugar and little water.
- Grind it to a thick paste.
- Transfer it to a bowl and keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together boiled mashed potato, fine chopped onions, chilly flakes, dry mango powder, cumin seeds and salt.
- Mix it well and keep it aside.
- Now take bread slices and apply thin layer of butter on them.
- Apply thin layer of chutney on top of butter layer.
- Now put generous amount of potato mixture on chutney and spread it all over the toast.
- Press the toast gently so that potato mixture sticks to the bread and does not fall while flipping the bread on pan.
- Prepare all the sandwiches like this.
- And now in a plate mix together sesame seeds and rava.
- Take a sandwich and put it on sesame rava mixture with potato side down.
- Gently press the sandwich so that sesame seeds get stick to the sandwich.
- In this way make all the sandwiches.
- Now heat the pan at medium heat and spread some butter on it.
- Now put the sandwich on pan with potato side down.
- Let the sandwich cook till potato mixture turns golden brown in color.
- Now apply some butter on top of breads and flip them over and let them cook till they become golden brown and crispy from this side too.
- Once sandwich is fully cooked and become crisp from both the sides switch off the heat and serve the sandwiches.
- They taste amazingly delicious with tomato ketchup.
If you are looking for more quick and easy sandwich recipes you may also like curd sandwich, egg sandwich, pizza sandwich, grilled cheese sandwich, veg sandwich, paneer sandwich and cream cheese sandwich.