Vermicelli cutlets are deep fried crispy snacks that most likely you may not have heard of before, but trust me once you try these cutlets you will love them.
To make these cutlets I used vermicelli (semai) as the main ingredient that I boiled in water upfront. The second most important ingredient in this recipe is boiled potato. Remember to use only white or yellow potatoes as they stick together better while frying. Also after boiling potatoes take them out from the water immediately otherwise they will absorb extra water and will fall apart while frying. For bread crumbs I used leftover bread and just ground them.
To check the oil temperature and dough consistency, I always prefer to drop a small piece of cutlet in oil first. Oil should be hot enough for sample piece to float up almost immediately and also it should not fall apart. If sample cutlet falls apart then dough needs to be fixed. For this you can add more bread crumbs or dip the cutlets in corn flour mixture before frying.
Make sure cutlets are formed smooth from all the sides as broken cutlets will most likely fall apart in oil. Paying attention to oil temperature is also a key to success in deep frying recipes. Start with medium heat. Once these cutlets get cooked a little and get some color, increase the heat to give them golden brown color and crunch.Enjoy these cutlets, with spicy coriander chutney or mint chutney.
Potato Vermicelli Cutlets Video Recipe
Potato Vermicelli Cutlets Detailed Recipe Card
- Bread crumbs: ¾ cup,
- Boiled mashed potatoes (yellow or white): 1 cup,
- Vermicelli: ½ cup,
- Crushed peanuts: ¼ cup,
- Chopped green chilly: 1,
- Lemon juice: ½ tbs,
- Salt: To taste,
- Oil for deep frying cutlets
- In boiling water add little salt and vermicelli.
- Cook it for 3-4 minutes till vermicelli becomes soft.
- Strain the water and let vermicelli cool down for some time.
- In a separate bowl, take cold vermicelli, bread crumbs, boiled mashed potatoes, green chilly, crushed peanut , lemon juice and salt.
- Mix together and make smooth dough.
- Take small ball size dough and make patties from it. If dough is sticky add some more bread crumbs.
- Heat oil to medium high and deep fry patties till they become golden brown.
- Sprinkle some chat masala and enjoy them hot.
2. After boiling the potatoes do not leave them in water for long time otherwise they will absorb extra water which is not good when you are using potatoes for deep frying.
3. I prefer using homemade bread crumbs. Just break the bread in small pieces and grind them in mixer.
4. If you feel the mixture is loose and you cannot make patties use some more bread crumbs.
5. These cutlets taste best when they are hot.