Sambar Recipe – Sambar Recipe for idli, dosa – South Indian Sambar Recipe. Learn how to make quick South Indian Sambhar recipe in pressure cooker.
Sambar or sambhar is one of the staple food in South India. They have special sambar recipe for idli which is different from sambar recipe for dosa or rice.
There are main 4 types of sambar recipes in South India. Sambar recipe Kerla style, Kannada sambar recipe, Tamil sambar recipe and Andhra sambar recipe. Kannada sambar is slightly sweeter and thin than other sambar. Kerla sambar is made with coconut oil and has prominent hing or asafoetida in it. Andhra sambar is spicy and thicker than Tamil sambar recipe.
Today I am posting very quick and easy way of making sambhar. It is made in pressure cooker and if you have every thing handy it will take only 10 minutes to make it.
You can use any veggies of your choice to make this sambar. I have used ready made sambar masala in this recipe. Also I have used jaggery and fresh grated coconut which makes it super yum.
Sambar recipe card:
- Tuvar dal (pigeon peas): ½ cup
- Water: 2 cups
- Onions: 1 small
- Tomato: 2 medium size
- Egg plant or baingan: 2-3 small size ( chopped in 4 pieces)
- Carrot: 1 sliced
- Radish or mooli: 1 sliced
- French beans: 8-10
- Tamarind pulp: 1 tsp
- Jaggery: 1 tsp
- Slit Green chiili: 2
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Sambhar masala; 2tbsp
- Fine chopped green coriander: 3-4 tbsp
- For tadka
- Oil: 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Methi or fenugreek seeds: ½ tsp
- Whole red chilli: 2
- Heat pressure cooker at medium flame.
- Add soaked dal, salt and water.
- Close the lid and take 2 whistles.
- Open the cooker and mix dal with spatula.
- Now add chopped egg plants, onions, carrots, radish, beans, tomatoes and turmeric powder.
- Close the lid and take 1 whislets.
- Open the lid and let veggies boil for 2 minutes.
- Now add sambhar masala, slit green chilli, tamarind pulp and jaggery.
- Mix well and let sambhar boil for 2 -3 minutes on high heat.
- now take it away from heat.
- Put tadka pan on heat.
- Add oil and whole red chilli.
- Cook chilli till it gets crisp.
- Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, hing and curry leaves.
- Put hot tadka on sambhar.
Sambar recipe video: