Shahi Paneer: Rich creamy royal paneer dish, where paneer pieces are simmered in yogurt cashew almond gravy.
We are going to use lots of rich ingredients like cashews, almonds, yogurt, saffron in this dish which makes it rich, creamy and flavorful curry and that’s why it is called Shahi Paneer or Royal Paneer.
I like to make this shahi paneer in pressure cooker as I love one pot recipes, they are effortless, hassle free and you can skip all the fine chopping and grinding work. In this recipe, we are going to cook the onions in pressure cooker so make sure you take enough whistles to make onions mushy that will give very smooth gravy. Also I added very less spices in making this Shahi Paneer to keep it simple yet flavorful and aromatic.
There’re two ways of making this Shahi paneer. One is with tomatoes and other one without tomatoes. Today I made this shahi paneer without tomato and to give it little sourness I used thick plain yogurt (or curd) and little tomato sauce. Make sure to use fresh yogurt here otherwise the gravy will taste too sour. I did not use cream in making this shahi paneer as I think almonds and cashew paste gives enough creaminess to the gravy but if you like you can also add cream at the end.
Shahi Paneer Video Recipe
Shahi Paneer Detailed Recipe Card
- Paneer cut in cubes: 200 gm,
- Roughly chopped onions: 1 cup,
- Garlic: 5 cloves,
- Ginger: ½” grated,
- Cumin seeds: 1tsp,
- Cardamom: 2,
- Cloves: 4,
- Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp,
- Red chilly powder: ½ tsp,
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp,
- Garam masala: ½ tsp,
- Saffron strings: 8-10 (dissolved in milk)
- Milk: ¼ cup,
- Cashew: 10-12,
- Almonds: 8-10,
- Thick yogurt: 3 tbsp,
- Tomato ketchup: 1 tsp,
- Oil: 2tbsp,
- Butter: 1 tbsp,
- Water: 1 ½ cup
- Soak cashews and almonds in ¼ cup of warm water for 15 minutes.
- Soak saffron for 10 min in warm milk and dissolve it with spoon.
- Heat oil and butter in a cooker at medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves and let them cook for few seconds.
- When cumin sizzles add garlic, ginger and onion. Saute till onion turns pink. Add ½ cup of water, close the lid and take 5-6 whistles.
- After 5-6 whistles switch off the heat and let the pressure cooker cool down.
- In meanwhile grind cashews and almonds with milk to smooth paste.
- Once the pressure cooker is cold enough open the cooker and cook onion garlic mixture till it releases oil.
- Smash all the big pieces of garlic with spoon and keep stirring till you see smooth mixture of onion.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and coriander powder.
- Now add cashew and almond paste and keep stirring for 5-6 minutes. Add yogurt and stir for a minute.
- Mix well and add paneer pieces and saffron mixture.
- Cook everything together for couple of minutes and then add 1 cup of water. Let the gravy come to boil then reduce the heat to medium low and cook it for another 5-6 minutes.
- After 5-6 minutes add tomato ketchup and garam masala. Gently mix everything.
- Shahi paneer is ready to serve.
- Garnish with fine chopped coriander leaves and some saffron strings.
- If you like garnish it with cream.