Spinach / Palak Paneer recipe : soft paneer baked in creamy spinach gravy with a hint of nutmeg. This palak paneer tastes very different, very earty and super delicious.
Spinach / palak paneer is one of the most popular Indian main course dishes. I make multiple variations of palak paneer sometimes by changing the ingredients and sometimes by the way I cook it. I like to add baby corns, green peas to palak paneer. Sometimes to make it as a complete meal, I even add boiled pasta or noodles to palak paneer. These variations give nice twist to the taste.
I have also posted mushrooms in spinach gravy which also goes very well as main dish and tastes awesome with roti, naan or rice.
In this recipe I tried making Palak paneer in a different way from traditional palak paneer recipe where I used different spices to get unique flavors and baked it in oven with cheese. Sometime I serve this baked spinach paneer or palak paneer with fresly baked baguette.
For making baked palak paneer I always prefer using fresh spinach. You can use frozen one also, but fresh one carries very good aroma. White sauce is also a good variation from traditional recipe.
I added very mild spices in this baked palak paneer but you can always add more heat according to your choice. I also added little nutmeg (jaiphal) powder which gives an earthy flavor to this dish.
It is all very easy to do. Watch my easy to follow step by step instructional video recipe of making Baked Palak paneer | Baked Spinach Paneer
Palak Paneer / Spinach Paneer detailed recipe card below :
- Fine chopped garlic: 1tbsp,
- Fine chopped onion: ½ cup,
- Fresh chopped spinach: 4 cups,
- Diced paneer: 1 cup,
- Unsalted butter: 1tbsp,
- All-purpose flour or maida: 1 tbsp,
- Milk: 1 cup,
- Black pepper powder: ½ tsp,
- Red chilly flakes: ½ tsp,
- Nutmeg powder: 2-3 pinches,
- Grated mozzarella cheese: ½ cup,
- Turmeric powder: ⅛ tsp,
- Red chilly powder; ⅛ tsp,
- STEP 1: Prepare spinach and Paneer
- Heat little oil at medium heat.
- Add chopped garlic and saute for few seconds till it becomes light pink in color.
- Now add chopped onions and saute for couple of minutes till onions become little soft and turn their color.
- It’s time to add chopped spinach and little salt and cook till spinach is completely cooked.
- Take it out in a bowl.
- In the same pan add little oil, add diced paneer, sprinkle little chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook till paneer becomes golden brown in color.
- STEP2: Prepare white sauce:
- In a pan heat one table spoon of unsalted butter.
- Add one table spoon of maida (all purpose flour) and stir it continuously till it become little brown in color.
- Now add one cup of warm milk.
- Make sure to add little milk at a time and stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- After adding all the milk let the sauce boil.
- Now add black pepper powder, chilly flakes, nutmeg powder and salt.
- Mix it and take the sauce away from heat.
- STEP3: Assemble paneer spinach and white sauce to make baked palak paneer.
- In a oven proof bowl add half of the spinach gravy.
- Add diced paneer and spead it all over the gravy.
- Spread rest of the gravy on paneer.
- Now spread a layer of cheese.
- Bake it in preheated oven at 180C or 350F till cheese melts.
- Baked palak paneer id ready to serve.