Stuffed chilli peppers is a spicy Indian side dish which goes very well with chapati, paratha or pori. These spicy stuffed chilli pepper is a treat for spice lovers.
Chilies have special place in Indian cuisine and this stuffed chilli or bharwann mirch is very famous especially in Northern part of India. These stuffed chillies are very versatile, you can have them with roti, paratha, bread or rice, a perfect accompaniment to a regular meal. Above all, these are quick and easy to prepare and can be saved in fridge for up to 4-5 days.
I am self-confessed spice lover. My friends say I am obsessed with green chillies and coriander leaves. I may be and it all comes from my family and my north Indian origin. So to be honest you can find these stuffed chillies always in my fridge.
To make stuffed chilly I used green chillies that are not very hot. You may choose poblano or anaheim or whatever milder version of chillies available in your local market. While buying fresh chillies look for crisp, firm, wrinkle free, bright and unbroken chilies.
I used fennel seed in this stuffed chilli recipe as it gives nice fresh aroma and it is good for digestion. Besan (gram four) gives nice texture to the stuffing. Roasting the gram flour also eliminate its raw smell and turns it into smoky flavor. Chillies burn very fast on the pan so be careful while cooking them. You would need to turn the stuffed chillies every few minutes till they get cooked from all the sides. Make sure that your kitchen is well ventilated and exhaust fan is switched on while cooking stuffed chillies to avoid chilli fumes filling up your house. Once done, you can store these stuffed chillies in fridge for 4-5 days.
Check out my quick video for making Stuffed Chilli or Bharvan Mirch:
Here is a recipe card for Stuffed chilly or Bharvan mirch
- Long and thick green chillies: 7-8,
- Gram flour (besan): 3 tbsp,
- Fennel seeds (saunf): 1 tsp,
- Coriander (dhania) powder: 3 tsp,
- Amchoor (khathai) powder: 1½ tsp,
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp,
- Cooking Oil
- Heat the pan at medium low heat and add gram flour to it. Roast the gram flour till it become pink in color.
- Transfer this gram flour in a bowl and add fennel seeds, amchoor powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt to it.
- Let this mixture cool down for some time.
- Mix everything well and keep it side.
- Now take the green chillies and slit them from between using knife.
- With a help of spoon take out the seeds.
- Now fill the stuffing in these green chillies.
- Heat some oil in a pan at medium heat and put stuffed chillies on it.
- Pour some oil on top of stuffed chillies and covet the pan and let the chiilies cook for 2 minutes.
- After two minutes turn over the chillies cover them again and turn the heat to medium low and cook for 2 more minutes.
- After 2 minutes turn them again and cook for 2 more minutes.
- After 2 minutes switch off the heat and let the stuffed chillies cool down in the pan for 4-5 minutes.
- Stuffed Chilli is ready to serve.
2.if chillies are too hot wear gloves while deseeding them.
3. Chillies burn very fast, do not cook it on high flame.
4. For even cooking turn the stuffed chillies couple of time while cooking.
5. You can keep these stuffed chillies for 3-4 days in freeze.