Egg (or Anda) Paratha is very famous street food in Delhi. Amit (my Hubby) is particularly very big fan of this Egg Paratha, especially because this brings him his college time memories alive, when he used to have night-outs with his friends and Egg Parathas used to be the only and yet favorite eat-out option. During late nights in Delhi, you can find these paratha wallas on many places. They appear on road sides from no where after 11PM and disappear by 4AM. And for these 5 hours, they are totally busy serving hungry night owls. In fact there are people, who sometimes stay awake late nights just to have these egg parathas. Amit can just go on and on when it comes to telling stories about his night-outs and Egg Parathas.
Egg paratha is actually very different from any other regular paratha. In this recipe egg is stuffed gently inside the paratha while cooking on the pan and then the egg gets cooked between the paratha layers. Traditional way (or I should say street side way) of making egg paratha is little complicated and requires practice. In this recipe I tried making it easier so everyone can do it. Before my marriage I mostly used to make raddish (mooli) paratha, Potato (aloo) paratha, mix veg paratha or gobi paratha, but never tasted this one. I first tasted Egg paratha when Amit cooked it for me (yes-he cooks it best ) and I just loved it.
My family is a big time egg lover, one or the other way we eat egg pretty much everyday, be it omelet, egg paratha, egg paratha roll, egg curry,egg cheese toast or just boiled eggs. It’s an easy morning breakfast or even can be packed with tiffin. These egg parathas taste best with mixed pickles or alternatively you can try with fresh pickles like ginger chilly pickle.
In this recipe it is necessary that paratha puffs up and splits in layers so that egg can be stuffed inside. You can check my video in which I have shown steps to get perfect layered paratha. Making these egg parathas is not at all difficult especially if you are comfortable making regular parathas. And if you are new to making parathas don’t worry at all, with little instructions and practice you can make just right parathas.
You can fry these egg parathas in oil, ghee or butter, they taste awesome with anything. To store these parathas for later in a box make sure to first wrap them in paper towel.
Watch My video for easy to follow instructions on how to make egg paratha:
Egg Paratha recipe below:
- For 4 Parathas:
- Wheat flour(atta): 1 cup,
- Fresh eggs: 4,
- Fine chopped onion: ¼ cup,
- Water: almost ½ cup,
- Green chilly,
- Cooking Oil ( or Ghee)
- In a bowl take flour and add little salt to it.
- Sprinkle little water at a time and knead a soft dough.
- Cover and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes take out the dough and knead it once again.
- Divide the dough in four parts.
- Take one part and roll the dough to a ball.
- Dip this ball in dry flour and make a oval shape.
- Spread little oil and sprinkle some dry flour over this oval shape dough.
- Squeeze the dough from the center and put one part on top of other.
- Dip it in the dry flour and roll it to a disc.
- In a separate bowl mix together one egg, chilly, coriander leaves chopped onions, salt.
- Heat the pan at medium heat and cook the paratha from both sides using little oil.
- As you see paratha split into layers, open one layer and put the egg mixture.
- Cover it again with the layer of paratha.
- Cover the paratha and cook it for 1 -2 minutes from both sides.
- Gently press with the spatula from both side to make sure paratha is all cooked from inside.
- Serve this egg paratha with pickle, chutney and salad.
2. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes after kneading this will make the dough soft and elastic and easy to work.
3. Be careful while putting the egg inside the paratha as paratha will be very hot.
4. It takes little practice to make these egg parathas but I am sure you will be expert after making 2 parathas.
5. Don't worry if some egg comes out of the paratha you can either eat it like that or remove it before serving.
6. It's important in making these egg parathas that paratha should get layers so that egg can be stuffed inside so I really recommend to watch my video to get nice layered paratha.