Tawa Pulao Recipe with video: Spicy Tawa pulao with lots of veggies and rice with the aroma of bhaji of pav bhaji. If you love pav bhaji then I am sure you are going to love this tawa pulao recipe.
As the name suggests tawa pulao is made on tawa which we use for making chapati or pav bhaji. You can also use kadai or pan to make tawa pulao. Since my chapati tawa is little small I made it on a nonstick pan.
Once famous as Mumbai Tawa Pulao it is now famous all over India. You can see lots of vendors selling tawa pulao on market side streets in the evening. They make tawa pualo on big iron tawa. Its interesting to watch their hands moving fast to serve quickly for queued up customers. For fast turn around they keep the boiled rice and par boiled veggies handy and mix ingredients like magic on tawa and tawa pulao is ready in minutes.
This tawa pulao recipe is pretty easy. You can also make it with leftover rice. On lazy days when I do not want to cook too much and I have leftover rice I use frozen veggies and make tawa pulao for a quick meal. Accompany it with raita and lunch is ready. Sometimes I also make veg pulao, coconut rice, bread uttapam , oats uttapam , egg paratha , egg paratha roll or mooli paratha as they are complete means in them self. You just need to have some yogurt or pickle with them.
For tawa pulao one of the most important ingredient is pav bhaji masala. I used ready made one that is easily available in Indian grocery stores. I usually store it in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge. This way it remains fresh for long time.
When I boiled rice I made sure it was not overcooked as we are going to cooking it along with veggies and masla too. In this tawa pulao recipe I used green chillies and red chilly powder to make it spicy if you cannot take so much of heat, feel free to skip it or adjust the quantity. Also adding butter is must for getting that pav bhaji style aroma, so would not recommend to skip that unless you really don’t like butter .
Tawa Pulao or Pav Bhaji Pulao Video Recipe
Tawa Pulao detailed recipe card below
- Boiled rice: 3 cups,
- Chopped Onions: 1 cup,
- Chopped Tomatoes: 2 cup,
- Chopped carrots: ½ cup,
- Chopped Potatoes: ½ cup,
- Green Peas: ½ cup
- Chopped Green beans (French beans): ½ cup,
- Chopped Bell pepper (capsicum): ½ cup
- Green chilly: 2,
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 tbsp,
- Lemon juice: 2 tsp,
- Cumin seeds; 1 tsp,
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp,
- Red chilly powder: ½ tsp,
- Pavbhaji masala: 3-4 tbsp,
- Fine chopped coriander leaves: 3 tbsp,
- Butter 4 tbsp,
- Oil: 2 tsp,
- Heat pan/ tawa/ wok at medium heat. Add little oil. Now add 3 tbs. of buuter.
- As the butter is melting add cumin seeds and stir them.
- Now add fine chopped onions and saute till onion turns little pink.
- Now add chopped beans and chopped capsicum/ bell pepper.
- Now add little salt and cook everything for few minutes.
- When veggies are almost half cooked add giger garlic paste, stir and cook till onion turns brown and oil separates from the veggies.
- When you see veggies are losing oil add turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Now add fine chopped tomatoes mix it and cover and cook till tomatoes become soft.
- When tomatoes become nice soft add green chilly, red chilly powder and pavbhaji masala.
- Mix everything and add boiled veggies. Saute and cover them and let them cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Now add boiled rice, coriander leaves, lemon juice, some more butter and mix it gently with the help of two spatula.
- Tawa pulao is ready to serve.
2. Rice should not be overcooked as we are going to cook them with veggies and masala.
3. For making tawa pulao veggies should not be mushy like pav bhaji they should only be for tender.
4. You can use more or less chilly, lemon juice according to your taste.