Veg Egg Curry Recipe: Paneer Ke Ande: I first heard about this cool recipe from my mother-in-law and ever since I wanted to try them myself. Finally I did, and they came out perfect and I must admit they taste almost like regular eggs.
Nowadays in North Indian marriages these paneer ke ande are very famous snack and they are perfect vegetarian substitutes for eggs. If you have never tasted eggs then you must try this recipe, and even if you have then also you should give it a try.
This is very different but very interesting recipe. Soft and tender paneer eggs are served in spicy flavorful onion gravy.You can serve this eggless egg curry with tawa naan, rumali roti, rice or biryani or pulao. Make these paneer ke ande for get-togethers and parties. Surprise your guests with this veg egg curry and I am sure they will love it.
Making these veg eggs is very easy. We just need paneer as primary ingredient. There are the few things to remember while making them to get he perfect outcome:
- Grate paneer very fine before making these veg eggs.
- Knead paneer for at least 6-7 minutes so that it become smooth and easy to work with.
- The outer surface of paneer eggs should be smooth like regular eggs.
- Make sure while making eggs use gentle hands as these are very soft.
The gravy I made for this eggless egg curry is same which I used for dhaba style egg curry as I think it goes best with these paneer eggs. You can also try with some creamy gravy, I think that should also just work fine.
And if you want to eat paneer ke ande without gravy, just shallow fry them first. Cut them lengthwise and then shallow fry again from inside till they become crispy. Garnish them with fine chopped onions, chillies, coriander leaves and sprinkle some chaat masala on top. Tastes heaven
Paneer Ke Ande or Veg Egg Curry Video Recipe
Paneer Ke Ande or Veg Egg Curry DetailedRecipe Card
- For making Paneer eggs---
- Grated paneer: 1 pack cup + 6 tbsp,
- Turmeric powder or haldi: ⅛th tsp,
- Corn flour: 2tbsp,
- Oil: 1tsp,
- For making gravy:
- Oil: ¼ cup,
- Bay leaf / tej patta: 2,
- Cinnamon stick/ dalchini: 1 stick,
- Small cardamom/ choti elaychi: 1,
- Cloves: 3-4,
- Cumin seeds/ Jeera: 1 tsp,
- Paprika powder/ Kashmiri lal mirch powder: 1 tsp,
- Fine chopped onions: 1 cup or I medium size,
- Ginger Garlic paste: 1½ tbsp,
- Turmeric powder/haldi: ½ tsp,
- Red chilly powder / lal mirch powder: 1 tsp,
- Coriander/ dhania powder: 1½ tsp,
- Cumin/ jeera powder: 1tsp,
- Dry mango / amchur powder: 1 tsp,
- Garam masala powder: ½ tsp,
- Salt, water
- For making paneer eggs---
- Take 6 tbsp of grated paneer, mix turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix nicely and make 6 small rounds like egg yolk.
- Now in a big bowl take 1 cup of grated paneer, corn flour, some salt.
- Mix and knead it like dough. We have to knead it for almost 5-6 minutes till paneer becomes very smooth.
- Divide it in six portions. Roll each ball to disc shape.
- Put small yellow ball (yolk) in the center. Cover with the part from all the sides. Roll it between palms and give it an egg shape as shown in the video.
- Heat very little oil in pan and put the eggs in the pan to shallow fry them.
- Drop little oil on the eggs too. Turn them couple of times and cook till they are golden brown from all the sides.
- When eggs are done take them out in a plate and let them cool down.
- Once paneer eggs cool down cut them in two pieces.
- For making Gravy---
- In a medium hot pan heat oil. Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, small cardamom and cumin seeds. Stir it well.
- Now add degi mirch/ paprika powder. Stir and add fine chopped onions.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook onions for almost 10 minutes.
- In between add salt and saute after every few minutes so onions don’t burn.
- When onion turns brown add ginger garlic paste and cook everything till raw smell of ginger garlic is gone and onions loose oil.
- When you can see oil separating out from the onion, add haldi, coriander, red chilly and cumin powder. Mix all the spices well.
- Add little water so that masala do not burn and mix it nicely.
- Cook onion and masala till it looses oil again.
- Add water according to the consistency of the gravy you like.
- Increase the heat to medium and boil the gravy for 5-8 minutes.
- After almost 8 minutes switch off the heat and add garam masala and dry mango powder.
- For Serving---
- In a serving dish place paneer eggs and pour hot gravy over them.
- Paneer egg curry is ready to serve. Serve it hot with hot steaming rice, soft rumali rotis, parathas or naan.
2. If you like more heat you can also add some green chillies.
3. I have added paprika powder or degi mirch or Kashmiri lal mirch for color if you do not like it feel free to skip it.
4. Put paneer eggs in the gravy only when you are ready to serve.