Veg Pockets recipe with quick instructional video: These veg pockets are very easy to make from scratch.
I love making snacks and experimenting with them. I came up with this recipe when I wanted to make something different with my left over samosa dough. It came out super delicious and perfect, so I thought of making quick video on it.
These cheese veg pockets can be super hit as kids snacks and party appetizer. You can prepare the dough and stuffing upfront and make them when you want to server them. Same dough can also be used for making samosa pinwheels and samosa. I made them couple of times in potlucks and everyone just loved it.
Veg pockets recipe is very simple. Just knead the dough, make the stuffing, make pockets and deep fry them till they are golden brown from both the sides. In making these veg pockets I mixed all-purpose flour and oil together for few minutes. This process is called “moin” in hindi. This step very important before kneading the dough for samosas, veg pockets or many other Indian savory snacks. That gives perfect fluffy and crispy cover.
Here are some tips to get perfect veg pockets:
1. Knead smooth and hard dough and keep it covered for 15-20 minutes.
2. Veggie stuffing should be dry.
3. Add cheese to the stuffing only after it has cooled down.
4. Before frying veggie pockets make sure they are sealed properly from all the sides.
5. Check the oil before frying. It should be not too hot or cold.
Serve these cheesy veg pockets with tomato ketchup or chutney.
Veg Pockets Video Recipe
If you are looking for more quick and easy snacks and appetizer recipes do visit starters and snacks section of the blog.
Veg Pockets Detailed Recipe Card
- All-purpose flour (maida): 1 cup + I tbsp (for paste)
- Oil: 2 tbsp for kneading the dough + oil for deep frying
- Water: ¼ cup
- Chopped Garlic: 1 tbsp
- Fine chopped onions: ¼ cup
- Chopped bell pepper or capsicum: ½ cup
- Corn kernels: ½ cup
- Chilly flakes: ½ tsp
- Grated cheese: ½ cup
- Italian seasoning
- In a mixing bowl take all purpose flour, salt and oil.
- Mix oil thoroughly in the flour for couple of minutes.
- To test if the oil is mixed properly hold the flour in fist and it should retain its shape.
- Now add little water at a time and knead a smooth but hard dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling wrap and let in rest for 15-20 minutes.
- In the mean while we can make the stuffing. For this heat the pan at medium heat and add little oil.
- As oil gets hot add chopped garlic and cook it for some time.
- Add chopped onions and cook till they turn pink.
- Now add chopped capsicum, corns, salt, chilly flakes and cook till veggies become dry.
- Once veggies are tender and dry transfer them in a bowl and let them cool down.
- When veggies are cold add grated cheese to it and keep it aside.
- In a small bowl take 1 tbsp of all purpose flour and add little water add make smooth and thick paste and keep it aside.
- Now take the dough out of cling wrap and divide it into 10-12 balls.
- Take one ball and roll it to a small disc.
- Put the cheese stuffing in the center and fold it as shown in the video.
- Now take a fork and gently press the ends of the pouch from both sides. As shown in video
- Make all the pockets like this.
- Heat the oil in kadai or wok at medium heat and deep fry the pockets from both sides till they become brown and crispy.
- Serve veg pockets with your favorite dip.