Veg Pulao Recipe Video : a quick one pot comforting rice recipe which can be served in lunch or dinner. Make this veg pulao on lazy days and enjoy it with raita, chutney or pickle.
Veg pulao is an easy one-pot meal recipe which does not require much prep work. I also like this vegetable pulao as it is one pot recipe and complete meal in itself.
Weekends are always busy for me and I end up making something quick and easy and also try to keep it as nutritious as possible. And if it has to be filling and satisfying meal then it can be veg pulao, tawa pulao or coconut rice.
This vegetable pulao or veg pulao can be made in open pot or pressure cooker. In this recipe I made it in an open pot. While making this veg pulao I roasted the veggies, which is really an important part. Roasted veggies give veg pulao a very nice flavor.
I did not use any ready made biryani powder or pulao masala in this veg pulao just used whole spices and basic spices which makes this pulao aromatic, flavorful and delicious. You can add more or less vegetables according to you taste in this veg pulao.
Cooking rice completely and perfectly is little tricky and need some expertise. In making this veg pulao I used basmati rice, hence water proportion shown in video and recipe card is good only for basmati rice. If you are using a different rice you might need more or less water according to the type of rice you are using. Also some people like soft rice and some like al Dante as served in restaurants. I prefer soft rice as it is easy to digest. For this I make sure to soak the rice in water for 2 hours before cooking.
Veg Pulao or Vegetable Pulao Recipe Video with easy to follow instructions:
Vegetable pulao or Veg Pulao recipe card below :
- Oil: 4 tbsp,
- Bay leaf: 2,
- Peppercorns: 8-10,
- Cinnamon stick: 2,
- Big Cardamom: 1,
- Small cardamom: 1,
- Cumin seeds: 1tsp,
- Grated ginger: 1 tbsp,
- Grated garlic: 1 tbsp,
- Chopped onion: ½ cup,
- Chopped potato: ½ cup,
- Chopped carrot: ½ cup,
- Chopped beans: ½ cup,
- Cauliflower: ½ cup,
- Green chilly:2,
- Red chilly powder: 1 tsp,
- Coriander powder: 2 tsp,
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp,
- Garam masala: 1 tsp,
- Rice: 2 cup,
- Frozen peas and corns
- Water: 4 ½ cups,
- Roasted cashew: 8-10,
- Fine chopped coriander leaves: 2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan at medium heat.
- Now add bay leaf, pepper corns, cinnamon stick, badi elaythi, choti elaythi, cloves, and cumin seeds.
- Sauté the spices for few seconds and add grated ginger and garlic.
- Stir them for few seconds and now add chopped onions.
- Sauté and cook onions till they become pink.
- Now add chopped potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add chopped carrots, beans, and cauliflower and green chillies and saute them for 5-6 minutes.
- We will saute them till they get nicely roasted. Now add red chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder.
- Mix everything and add rice and saute for couple of minutes.
- Now add frozen peas and corns, mix everything and add water and salt.
- Let vegetable pulao come to boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes mix vegetable pulao once, cover and cook for more 10-15 minutes.
- After 10-15 minutes switch of the heat and fluff vegetable pulao with fork.
- Garnish with roasted cashews, chopped coriander leaves and cover for couple of minutes,
- Veg pulao is ready to serve.
2. Cut cauliflower in big pieces so that they don't get mushy while cooking.
3. Soak rice for 2 hours before cooking.
4. The water I used is based on basmati rice. This amount may vary if you are using some other rice.