Vegetable biryani is very famous and has a special place in Indian cuisine. This pressure cooker biryani is quick version of famous Hyderabadi biryani.
Biryani is made in many ways and many types. Most famous are vegetable biryani, chicken biryani and mutton biryani. Authentic biryani recipe calls for long list of spices and takes long time to make. This pressure cooker method of making biryani is easy to make at home yet tastes same.
My family loves eating rice. I often make rice dishes like vegetable pulao, schezwwan rice, coconut rice or simple fried rice for lunch. I do accompany them with pickles, papads and raita.
I often make this pressure cooker biryani especially when I am in hurry. It comes very handy as you don’t have to cook rice and gravy separately. I also like this method as veggies and rice mingle together and rice is cooked in all the juices from gravy. Which makes it very flavorful and delicious.
Now, what is the difference between pulao and biryani. I think main is biryani masala. Which is a special blend of spices that gives nice aroma and flavor to biryani. Biryani is little richer, spicier and more flavorful than pulao. Pulao is made with simple everyday spices and very light.
Here are some tips for making perfect pressure cooker biryani:
- It is important that you soak rice for 30 minutes before cooking. This will help in making non mushy yet perfectly cooked rice.
- Here I have used basmati rice so I added 1 and ¾ cup of water for 1 cup of rice. If you are using some other quality of rice you may have to add more or less water.
- It took only one whistle at my place to cook the rice completely. You may have to take more or less according to the pressure cooker and the quality of water at your place.
- Here it is very important to roast the veggies nicely before adding rice. This will make them taste better.
- For authentic taste do add mint leaves, coriander leaves, curd and of course biryani masala
Pressure Cooker Biryani Video
Pressure Cooker Biryani Recipe Card
- Rice: 1 cup
- Cloves: 4
- Small cardamom: m2
- Cinnamon sticks: 2 small
- Bay leaf: 1
- Black pepper corns: 8-10
- Cumin seeds: 1tsp
- Red chilly powder: ½ tsp
- Coriander powder: 1tbsp
- Biryani masala: 2 tbsp
- Thick yogurt or curd: ½ cup
- Sliced onions: 1cup
- Grated ginger garlic: 1 tbsp
- Big pieces of Cauliflower: ¼ cup
- Chopped Beans: ¼ cup
- Chopped carrots: ¼ cup
- Big pieces of potatoes: ¼ cup
- Chopped Mint leaves: ¼ cup
- Chopped coriander leaves: ¼ cup
- Soya granules boiled and washed: ¼ cup
- Oil: 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice in water for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker. As the oil gets hot add bay leaf, cardamom, black pepper, cloves and cumin seed.
- Let them roast for few seconds. Now add fine chopped onions and cook till they are brown.
- Once onions are brown add ginger, garlic, mint and coriander leaves. Mix them well and cook till raw smell of garlic is gone.
- Once garlic is roasted add potatoes, carrots, beans, cauliflower and soya chunks.
- Saute well and cook till veggies are roasted. Add salt and mix well.
- When you see veggies changed their color add red chilly powder, coriander powder, biryani masala and curd and mix them well.
- Cook veggies for 5 minutes with masala.
- Now add drained rice, mix it well and let the rice cook with masala for 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring otherwise rice will stick to the pressure cooker.
- Now add 1 and ¾ cup of water, take one whistle.
- As soon as whistle comes, switch off the heat and let the cooker cool down.
- When pressure cooker is completely cold, open the lid and gently fluff the rice.
- Vegetable biryani is ready to serve. Serve it hot with raita.
2. Here I have used basmati rice so I added 1 and ¾ cup of water for 1 cup of rice. If you are using some other quality of rice you may have to add more or less water.
3. It took only one whistle at my place to cook the rice completely. You may have to take more or less according to the pressure cooker and the quality of water at your place.
4. Here it is very important to roast the veggies nicely before adding rice. This will taste them better.
5. For authentic taste do add mint leaves, coriander leaves, curd and of course biryani masala.