Mixed vegetable pakora or pakoda are deep fried gluten free snacks. These vegetable pakoras are also know as vegetable fritters in English. They are made from chickpea flour or gram flour and vegetables and some spices.
How to make crisp pakoras? This is a very common question. To make crisp pakoras you need to add some rice flour along with chickpea flour. Also adding spinach make crisp pakoras. In this mixed vegetable pakora recipe I have also used crushed peanuts which also gives pakodas crispness and taste.
Pakora is a famous Indian snack around the world. You can find different tastes of pakoras in different region. Pakistani pakora recipe is very different from North Indian pakora recipe and South Indian pakora recipe.
Pakoras are made with lots of different vegetables. If you add potato it becomes potato pakora recipe, add onion it becomes onion pakora recipe, add spinach and it turns to onion pakora recipe. But mostly the basics of making pakoras is same.
For all the pakoras you need to make pakora batter. Pakora batter recipe is quick and simple. Add spices and water to chickpea flour and make a smooth and lump free batter. Along with basic spices carom seeds, asafetida, ginger garlic paste and kasoori methi are added as per choice.
How much calories pakoras have ? Hehehe, they are fried so we don’t talk about calories here. Though you can pan fry them but they are different in both taste and texture.
Mixed vegetable pakora recipe video:
Mixed vegetable pakora recipe card:
- Fine sliced potatoes: ½ cup
- Thin sliced onions: ¾ cup
- Small sliced carrots, spinch and capsicum: ½ cup each
- Crushed raw peanuts: ½ cup
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Carom seeds: 1tsp
- Red chilly powder: ½ to 1 tsp
- Crushed whole coriander: 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ginger garlic paste: 1tbsp
- Green chilli fine chopped: 2
- Fine chopped coriander leaves: 2tbsp
- Chickpea flour or gram flour or besan : ¾ cup
- Rice flour: ¼ cup
- Oil for frying
- Water as needed
- In a mixing bowl take all the chopped veggies and add salt.
- Mix well, cover and keep it aside for 15-20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes mix the veggies again and add all the spices, green chillies, ginger garlic paste and coriander and mix it well with spoon.
- Now mix the batter with hands like a dough so that it releases water.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of water if needed.
- Batter should be thick not watery.
- Now heat the oil at medium high heat.
- Drop small size pakoras in hot oil.
- Turn them after some time and cook them from both side till they are crisp and golden brown.
- When Pakoras are ready take it out on a tissue paper.
- Serve hot and crisp pakoras with spicy chutney and ketchup.