Vegetable Spring rolls recipe: vegetable spring rolls are basically vegetables or meat wrapped in a paper thin sheet which can be served raw, steamed or deep fried.
Different types of spring rolls can be made by combinations of different types of sheets and stuffing. Spring rolls which are not fried are called fresh spring rolls. Spring rolls are originated from Asian cuisine and are especially popular during Chinese New Year that is also called spring festival, from where it gets its name.
Vegetable spring rolls are quick and crispy appetizer which can be done in minutes if stuffing is ready ahead of time. You can fill pretty much everything of your choice and make spring rolls. Sometimes I even put potatoes and make spring rolls (trust me they almost taste like Samosas . I like to mix and match the wraps and stuffing to get new taste. You can also check my tortilla samosa recipe which is also a great snack where I stuffed samosa stuffing in tortillas.
Talking about my post today I made vegetable spring rolls with noodles and vegetable filling which is a favorite of my family. My kids love them so much that whenever I make noodles I make sure to make it extra so that leftovers can be used to make spring rolls or noodles bread rolls.
To make vegetable spring rolls quicker and easier I used store bought spring roll sheets. These spring rolls sheets are widely available is super markets in frozen section. In this recipe of making vegetarian spring rolls, I sautéed fine chopped vegetables lightly and then added sauces and noodles to making the stuffing. Then I wrapped this stuffing in spring roll sheet and deep fired.
To Make baked vegetable spring rolls bake them for about 15-20 minutes on baking tray lined with aluminium foil at 180 C. Just keep an eye on them as soon as they turn golden brown take them out.
These vegetable spring rolls are crispy from outside and tender fresh from inside, just how they should be. Be liberal in using veggies in the stuffing. I used cabbage, bell peppers, green onions, carrots. You can also try tofu, green beans, and some leafy greens.
Remember to cool down the veggies before stuffing them in spring rolls sheet and make sure to seal the spring rolls properly from all the sides before deep frying them.
I like serving these vegetable spring rolls hot with ketchup and soya sauce and to accompany I usually make some soup. You can also freeze these spring rolls for later use. To do so, let the spring rolls cool down completely first, then pack them in a zip lock and just throw them in the freezer for a lazy day. Whenever you want to serve them just take spring rolls out from the freezer 2, 3 hours before and reheat them on the pan.
Vegetable Spring Rolls Recipe Video :
Vegetable Spring Rolls Recipe card below:
- ----For Noodles:
- Ginger garlic paste (or grated): 2 tbsp,
- Onion (thin sliced): ½ cup,
- Carrot (thin sliced): ½ cup,
- Capsicum (thin sliced): ½ cup,
- Cabbage (thin sliced): ½ cup,
- Soya sauce: 2 tsp,
- Boiled noodles: 1½ cup,
- Salt: to taste,
- Black Pepper: ¼ tsp,
- Chilly sauce: 1 tsp,
- Green onion (thin sliced): 2 tbsp,
- Vinegar: 1 tsp,
- Cooking Oil: 2-3 tbsp
- -----For Spring rolls:
- Spring roll sheets: 10,
- All Purpose Flour (Maida): 2 tbsp,
- Oil for deep frying
- First we will make noodles. For that, in a hot pan add some oil, ginger garlic paste and saute it for few seconds.
- Now throw in some chopped onions and carrots to it and mix it well. Now add chopped capsicum.
- Cook for 2 minutes then add chopped cabbage and mix everything.
- Add soya sauce and boiled noodles. Cook for 2 minutes and add salt.
- Add chilly sauce, white vinegar and saute for some time.
- Add fine chopped green onions mix everything and switch of the stove. Let the
- noodles cool down completely.
- Now for making spring rolls, firsts let's Make batter for sticking rolls, for this add water and all-purpose flour together and make a thick paste.
- Take one spring roll sheet and spread the all-purpose flour paste on the sides.
- Now take generous amount of noodles mixture and put it on one side of the sheet.
- Fold the spring rolls as shown in the video.
- Seal the sides by putting some more paste.
- When the rolls are ready deep fry them at medium flame till they are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve vegetable spring rolls hot with sauce.
2. Seal all the corners carefully before deep frying spring rolls.
3. If you want to make only vegetable spring rolls don't add noodles.
4. Do not fry spring rolls on high heat otherwise they will not get cooked from inside.
5. You can make these vegetable spring rolls ahead of time and cover them with cling wrap so that they don't dry out. Just fry them whenever you want to serve them.