Vegetarian Tortilla Soup Recipe Video: hearty soup with the goodness of veegies, cheese and tortillas. This vegetarian tortilla soup is complete meal in itself.
Vegetarian Tortilla Soup recipe is different from my regular vegetable soup recipe. In this vegetable soup recipe veggies are first roasted and then added to the soup. The highlight of this tortilla soup is its garnishing. I used avocados, tortilla chips and cheese which blend in the soup and make an awesome combination.
First time I had this vegetarian tortilla soup in a Mexican restaurant in San Diego. San Diego is a famous city from Southern California known for its beaches, world’s famous sea world, museums and old town market. Being adjacent to Mexico border you can find wide variety of Mexican food and culture there. We visited San Diego twice. Our first visit was quick and limited to few man made attractions. For our second visit (on our 10th wedding anniversary) we decided to cover the core city and feel the culture and wide variety of food. One of the most memorable experiences was having authentic Mexican dinner at Old Town. Old town is setup based on Spanish theme and recreates some of the unforgettable historic landscapes. It is filled with cute shops, museums, pretty houses and cafes. Some of the restaurants make fresh tortilla right outside. Smell of freshly cooked Tortilla could drive anyone superrr hungry instantly.
I tasted this vegetarian tortilla soup in café Cayote in Old Town and I immediately fallen in love with it. After coming back home I tried making the same vegetable tortilla soup couple of times and finally got success in getting the same smoky flavors and taste that makes this tortilla soup special and different from other soups.
This vegetarian tortilla soup has very delectable smell which comes from the roasted veggies. You can use chicken stock or vegetable stock in this soup recipe. When the hot soup is garnished with grated cheese it melts in the soup instantly and makes the soup so yummy that I promise you can’t resist. Avocados give this soup a nice creamy texture and tortilla chips make this soup very filling.
Roasting veggies is important part in making this vegetarian tortilla soup but remember not to burn the veggies, we just want to roast them for some time so that they give nice smoky flavor. I prefer making this yummy soup ahead of time. Whenever I am ready to serve I heat the soup again and garnish it immediately before serving. You can enjoy this soup with some starters like stuffed mushrooms, sesame fingers, egg cheese toast, pizza and it can be your complete meal.
Vegetarian tortilla soup recipe video :
Vegetarian tortilla soup recipe below:
- Tomato: 1 large,
- Chopped onion: ¼ cup,
- Garlic clove: 1,
- Green chilly: 1,
- Chopped carrot: ¼ cup,
- Corn kernels; ¼ cup,
- Dried oregano,
- Pepper powder,
- Cooking oil,
- Vegetable stock or Chicken stock: 3 cups
- For garnishing:
- Cheese: ¼ cup,
- Chopped avocado: ¼ cup,
- Tortilla chips: 8-10
- Chopped Cilantro (coriander leaves) : 2tsp
- Heat the pan at medium heat and roast one tomato,one clove unpeeled garlic and one green chilly.
- Turn over the veggies after some time so that they get roasted from all the sides.
- When the veggies are nicely roasted and little tender take them out.
- Take out the garlic peel and grind everything along with some vegetable stock.
- In a big pot heat some oil at medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for a minute.
- Now add chopped carrots and saute for some time.
- Now add corn kernels and saute for a minute.
- Add tomato ,garlic and chilly mixture and rest of the vegetable stock.
- Now add little salt, pepper powder and dried oregano in the soup.
- Mix every thing together and boil the soup for 8- 10 minutes.
- Take out the soup after 10 minutes and now we will garnish the soup.
- For garnishing we'll put some chopped avocado, some cheese, tortilla chips and chopped coriander.
- Vegetarian tortilla soup is ready. Serve hot:)
2.You can use vegetable stock, chicken stock of soup cube in this soup.
3. You can add water but it will not give the same results.
4. Serve the vegetarian tortilla soup hot and garnish the soup only when it is hot and you are ready to serve it.