Missi roti recipe: missi roti is staple Indian flat bread that is often made in Punjabi and North Indian homes. Whenever I am bored with my regular chapati I make naan, missi roti, rumali roti, sweet paratha.
There are many ways of making missi roti. In this version of missi roti I have added dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) to get methi flavor. Instead of adding kasoori methi you can also try it with fresh methi leaves .Since fresh methi is not as strong as kasoori methi, you will need to
add extra amount of fresh methi leaves. Also since it already has moisture, you may need less water to kneed with fresh methi. The base of missi roti is always made with combination of whole wheat flour and gram flour (besan or chickpea flour).You may also use fine chopped onions in missi roti, they taste great 🙂 .
Missi roti is a good source of protein and nutrients. Gram flour helps lowering insulin level. Usually I don’t make plain roti at home. I always add some veggies to make mix veg roti or paratha or tofu to make tofu roti or simply add spinach and make spinach roti or left over dal to make dal roti. These variations make roti even healthier.
Traditional way, missi roti is made in tandoor but at home we can make it on our regular chapati tawa. You can also change the proportion of besan and whole wheat flour a little based on your taste, just make sure to alter water while kneading accordingly. Dough need to be soft and smooth. Always cook missi rotis on medium flame as they little thick and take time to cook all the way to inside.
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ cup Gram Flour
- ¼ cup Thick Curd
- ¼ cup Milk
- ¼ cup Dry Fenugreek Leaves
- ½ tsp Carom Seeds
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Oil
- In a bowl mix together gram flour and wheat flour. To this add carom seeds, fine chopped green chillies, chopped coriander leaves.
- Now add dry fenugreek leaves,milk, yogurt, oil and salt. Mix everything together.Sprinkle little water at a time and kneed a soft and smooth dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes take out the dough and kneed it once again. Now make 7 small balls from this dough.
- Take one ball and roll it in a small disc. Heat the tawa or pan at medium heat and put the roti on it.
- When you see some bubbles turn the roti. After some time cook it both side on stove using griddle.Serve hot missi rotis with your favorite curry.