Boondi raita is a creamy Indian yogurt dip which can be served as a side dish for roti, paratha, pulao, biryani and many other Indian dishes. If you make boondi raita little thin you can even serve it chilled as a beverage.
In my home town boondi raita is a must have dish in all the parties. People also serve boondi raita with samosas, dahi vadas and papri chaat. At my home whenever I make spicy food I always make raita to cut down the heat little bit.
There are many ways of making boondi raita and all of them are great in their own ways. There is no right, wrong or perfect way of making raita. Even this boondi raita recipe differs from family to family based on their taste preferences.
Today I am posting this boondi raita recipe in two steps. First to make plain boondi raita and later add tadka in it. Tadka is optional, but I do recommend you to try it once before making your choice 🙂 .
Another variation is in the way boondi is added. I added boondi directly in the curd to keep the crunch but if you like soft then you can soak boondi in warm water for 10 minutes, strain them, squeeze all the water out and add them to raita. This way even excess oil is drained out, so if you are concerned about that extra oil in boondies, then soaking them in water before adding to the curd is your option to go for.
I have also added little honey in boondi raita which gives it little sweetness, if you don’t like it you can skip this step. Again I would recommend you to try it before making your choice here.
Adding mint leaves and fresh ginger gives little zing to boondi raita. Also if you like hot and spicy you can add fine chopped green chillies in raita.
While preparing tadka make sure that oil is not too hot to avoid chilly powder getting burnt. You can also add sev (indian snack) before serving it to make boondi raita crunchier and tastier.
Boondi Raita | Tadka Boondi Raita instructional recipe video
Boondi raita | Tadka Boondi Raita detailed recipe card below:
- Plain yogurt or curd: 2 cups,
- Fine chopped coriander leaves: 1 tbsp,
- Fine chopped ginger: 1 tsp,
- Fine chopped mint leaves: 1 tsp,
- Fine chopped onion: ¼ cup,
- Black salt: a pinch,
- Cumin power: ¼ tsp,
- Boondi: ¼ cup,
- Honey; ½ tsp,
- Oil: 1tbsp,
- Cumin seeds: 1tsp,
- Red chilly powder: ½ tsp
- In a bowl wish yogurt till it become smooth.
- Add coriander leaves, ginger, mint leaves, onions, black salt, salt and cumin powder.
- Mix everything together and add boondi.
- Mix everything together and add honey.
- Mix it again. You can serve boondi raita as it is or you can add tadka.
- For tarka, heat the pan add oil add cumin seeds and red chilly powder.
- Pour the tarka over the raita .
- Boondi raita with tadka is ready to serve.