Masala Baingan Recipe or Brinjal Masala Recipe | In this recipe eggplants are simmered in spicy garlic, onion and tomato sauce. Baingan masala is full of aroma and flavors and goes very well as side dish with roti or rice. Baingan or eggplant is a common vegetable which is widely available all over the world.
Eggplants come in different shapes and sizes and can be used for making curry, dry or stuffed side dishes, pakoras and may more dishes. You can find lots of eggplant or baingan recipes in my blog like achari baingan, baingan curry, aloo baingan, baingan bharta and now this masala baingan. Each recipe is made with different mix of spices and tastes very different from each other. Talking about today’s baingan sabzi, it is very quick, simple and tastes amazingly delicious. The flavor of garlic when blends together with other spices and veggies gives irresistible tempting aroma which goes very well with chapati or plain white rice or as a side dish for biryani.
So let’s start with step by step process of making baingan masala. I have used little extra oil in this recipe to extract perfect flavors from the spices. You can always reduce the amount of oil if you worried about the excess oil.
- 10 Baby Eggplant
- 1 Onion
- Tomato Paste
- ½ inch Ginger
- 5 Garlic Clove
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1½ tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 Green Chilli
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 6 tbsp Oil
- Grind ginger garlic with ¼ cup of water to thin paste and keep it aside.
- Wash eggplants or baingan, take the cap out and slit them from both the sides. This way the spices will go very well inside the brinjal and give them perfect aroma and also help in cooking them faster.
- Chop onion into thin slices and keep it aside. Heat oil in kadai or wok and add oil on medium heat and add sliced onions.
- Saute couple of times and cook onions till the corners of onions become brown. Now add ½ cup of water to onions, cover with a lid, reduce the heat to medium low and cook till onion becomes translucent. It may take 5-6 minutes.
- Once onion become soft and translucent add ground ginger garlic, dry spices, eggplants and ¼ cup of water.
- Mix everything, cover and cook on medium low flame till eggplants become soft. Once eggplants are soft enough add tomato paste, slit green chilles and coriander leaves. If you still see onion pieces smash them with the ladle.
- Cook in open for 4-5 minutes till gravy becomes little thick.