Raw banan dahi vada | kachhe kele ka dahi vada: Melt in mouth soft dahi vadas topped with creamy yogurt, sweet and sour chutney and flavorful spice seasoning. You can serve these dahi vadas as a snack or along with main course.
Dahi vada is a famous Indian chaat which is usually made with lentils, but to give it a little twist I made these dahi vadas with raw banana or raw plantain. I learnt this dahi vada recipe from my mom. She makes an awesome kachhe kele ke dahi vadas, and here is my attempt to make the same. And if you want to try another different kind of dahi vada check out my low calorie, non fried bread dahi vada recipe. In some part of India dahi vadas are also known as dahi bhalle. There is a slight difference in toppings of dahi vada and dahi bhalla. Dahi bhalle is crispier version of dahi vada and typically topped with sev, papri and namkeen.
Talking about today’s raw banana dahi vada recipe, I made them in two ways. One is deep fried version and for my weight watcher friends another one is a non-fried appe pan version. It is up to you what version you like to make but I would say both are worth trying.
You can make these dahi vadas in advance. When ready to server just dip them in seasoned thick yogurt and garnish them with sweet and sour chutney with a sprinkle of chilly powder, cumin powder and chaat masala. I did not add coriander chutney while serving but if you like you can also add that along with sweet and sour chutney. You can see the recipe of chutneys in coriander chutney post and sweet and sour chutney post. If you are looking for more chaat recipes you may also like bread katori chaat, dal dhokli, roti pakora, bread channa chaat, macaroni chaat and lot more in the chaat section of the blog.
Kele ke Dahi Vada
- 3 Raw Banana
- 1 Potato medium size
- 3-4 tbsp Gram Flour
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- ½ cup Thick Curd beaten
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 4 tbsp Sweet & Sour Chutney
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- Chaat Masala opttional
- Cut the edges of the banana and give a small prick to potato. Boil banana and potato in pressure cooker. At my place I take one whistle.
- Let the pressure cooker cool down and pressure be out. Take the banana and potato out from the water and peel them. Let boiled banana and potato cool down for some time.
- Once they are cold enough to handle grate them using grater. Add gram flour, ginger and salt. Mix everything and knead the mixture with your hands like a dough.
- Take small portion of banana potato dough and make balls out of it. Press them gently to give them disc shape.
- You can deep fry these discs or cook them in appe pan as shown in the video till vadas become brown as crispy.
- To serve dahi vada, beat yogurt to smooth paste and season it with little sugar and salt.
- Whenever you are ready to serve dip vadas in yogurt and take them out on a serving plate.
- Top it with some extra curd, sweet and sour chutney, sprinkle some red chilly powder, cumin powder and chaat masala.