Indian style pasta recipe. Ideal for kids’ tiffin box, breakfast or brunch. Learn how to make easy step by step Indian style pasta which can be prepared in minutes.
I also call this method of making pasta as pasta upma as it is made with similar spices as used in upma. Pasta does not need any introduction. It originated in Italy and now famous all over the world and especially famous among kids. My kids love to eat pasta and I often make it for them. There are numerous varieties of pastas available in market which come in all shapes and sizes. Nowadays they are also made with quinoa, whole wheat flour, tomato, spinach and many other healthy ingredients. I mostly like to use spinach or tomato pasta for my kids and on top I add more veggies so that it is a win win situation for me and the kids. Result- happy kids and happy mom 🙂
In making this Indian style pasta recipe I used simple white butterfly style pasta. This recipe is made in three steps. First boil the pasta, then make masala and finally mix everything together. Talking about boiling of pasta I usually overcook the pasta so it is easy to digest for kids. I only add salt while boiling pasta and avoid adding oil as oil makes pasta slippery and sauce and spices do not stick to it properly. To reduce the time of cooking I like to use frozen veggies but you can use fresh boiled veggies too. Also I did not add any Italian seasoning as I wanted to keep it close to Indian flavors but you can also use some cheese and seasoning according to your choice. I like making pasta as they are quick to make and fun to eat.
Follow the recipe step by step to make perfect Indian Style Pasta. So, lets dive in to the recipe.
Indian Style Pasta
- 1½ cup Pasta
- ¼ cup Onion fine chopped
- ¼ cup Potato thin sliced
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic freshly grated
- 1 cup corns, peas, carrots, beans
- 2 Tomato fine chopped
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- 1-2 tsp Tomato Ketchup optional
- 2 tbsp Olives Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Coriander Leaves
- Boil pasta in water with little salt. Cook till pasta is soft. Strain pasta and keep little water from pasta in a bowl aside.
- Heat the pan/ wok/ karahi at medium heat. Add oil. Once oil is hot. Add curry leaves, cumin and mustard seeds.`
- Sauté and add onions, potatoes and salt. Mix well, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or till potatoes are soft.
- Stir couple of times in between. Once potatoes are soft add boiled or frozen veggies, tomatoes and mix them well.
- Cover and cook till tomatoes are very soft and mushy. It may take 7-8 minutes. If mixture is getting dry add some reserved pasta water at this time.
- Once tomatoes are soft enough add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and coriander powder.
- Mix them well and stir boiled pasta. Mix gently. Now pour some butter, lemon juice, coriander leaves and if you like little sweet taste add some tomato ketchup.
- Mix everything gently. Pasta is ready to serve.
I make this Indian style pasta mostly on sundays as we like to have brunch dish. Let me know in the comment section about your fun experience with this recipe.