Garlic Potato Recipe | Smoky, Flavorful Garlic Potato Sabji Recipe| Potatoes roasted in freshly made chilli, garlic and ginger. This sookhe or dry aloo ki sabji tastes best with pooris, parathas and even with simple dal rice.
Sometimes most simple food tastes most amazing and that is very true with this garlic potatoes. They are packed with flavors and super simple to do. I just love them and can even eat them like a snack. I learned these sukha aloo from my mother in law. She makes awesome and delicious food. There is something good about mom’s food. It is made with simple everyday spices yet tastes delicious. Isn’t it?
Don’t confuse these garlicy potatoes with any Indo-Chinese recipe. This is pure traditional Indian recipe made with fresh spices and masala. I have used chopped green chilli in this recipe but if don’t like it you can skip it. You can also substitute it with chilli flakes. It also goes very well with these potatoes. Today I have used baby potatoes but you can also use regular potatoes, just cut them in bite size after boiling. It is very important that when you make these sookhe aloo (dry gravy potatoes) you keep the flame at medium to medium-low otherwise masala and spices may burn and taste bitter. Roast these potatoes in spices till they are well coated with masala.
You can serve these garlicky potatoes as appetizer too. Just insert the toothpick and they are ready to go. You can also accompany them with curd dip.
- 400 gm Potato boiled & peeled
- 12-15 Garlic Clove
- ½ inch Ginger
- 2 Green Chilli fine chopped
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves fine chopped
- 3 tbsp Oil
- In mortar-pestle crush green chilli, ginger and garlic together and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan at medium heat and add oil. As oil turns hot add asafetida and cumin seeds.
- As cumin seeds crackle add green chilli, ginger and garlic mixture . Mix well and cook till mixture turns pink.
- Now add boiled and peeled potatoes and saute for a minute in garlic mixture.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, dry mango powder, salt and mix well.
- Cook till potatoes are slightly roasted and coated with masala. Keep steering it after every few seconds otherwise masala may burn.
- When you smell nice aroma and potatoes are nicely roasted add coriander leaves. Give everything a nice mix. Garlicky potatoes are ready to serve. Serve them with pooris or parathas.