Besan Wali Bhindi | Besan Bhindi Recipe | Quick, easy and delicious dry bhindi or okra ki sabji which goes very well with parathas, pooris, dal and rice. You can find many bhindi recipes in my blog like bhindi ka salan, aloo bhindi, bharwan (stuffed) bhindi, bhindi do pyaza and now this simple besan wali bhindi. This bhindi recipe is very different from all the other sabzi recipes.
I love making bhindi in different ways as it is my husband’s favorite. I think bhindi is one of the vegetable which is widely available all over the world. I learned this besan bhindi ki sabji from a famous cook Yamuna Devi. She made besan wali beans. To make it little different I tried it with Bhindi/okra and it came out really amazingly delicious. It is an excellent side dish which can be served with chapatis, parathas or pooris.
I must say if you are Bhindi/okra fan, then it’s a must try recipe. While making this besan wali bhindi or any other bhindi ki sabzi I make sure that bhindi/okra are very dry before chopping. Once you wash bhindis, do pat them dry with clean cotton cloth or paper towel. Otherwise Bhindi will become slimy and will not taste good.
I have also posted other easy to make lunch and dinner recipes like Lehsuni Aloo Matar, Dum Aloo, Bhindi do Pyaza and many more. Do explore them as well. Do try this quick recipe and I hope you like it.
Besan Bhindi Masala
- Bhindi cut into big, slant pieces
- ½ cup Gram Flour for besan batter
- Salt for besan batter
- Water for besan batter
- ½ tsp Carom Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Chilli Paste
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Dry Mango Powder/ Lemon Juice
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Coriander Leaves fine chopped
- Wash and dry Bhindi/okra completely take the stem out and cut it diagonally in 1-2 “ pieces and keep aside.
- Take gram flour/besan in a bowl, add salt and mix it with water and make a smooth and thick paste as shown in video.
- Whip the batter for 2-3 minutes.
- Now heat the oil in a pan at medium heat and add oil.
- When oil is hot add carom seeds and cumin seeds let them splatter and then add ground ginger garlic chilli paste and roast a bit.
- Next add turmeric powder, roughly chop onions, chopped Bhindi, salt and mix everything.
- Reduce the flame to low cover and cook while stirring a couple of times.
- Once Bhindi is soft enough push them in the center and pour besan (gram flour) mixture on the sides as shown in video.
- Cover and cook it on medium low flame for 3-4 minutes or till besan is dried up.
- Once besan is dry enough break it in small pieces with your spatula as shown in the video.
- Mix it well with Bhindi then add red chilly powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder and garam masala.
- Mix everything well and let sabzi cook with masala for few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Always pat dry bhindis with cotton cloth or tissue paper before cooking. Otherwise bhindis will become slimy.
- I have used red chilly and garam masala which makes this Bhindi little spicy. You can reduce level of spiciness according to your taste buds.
- We used salt twice in this recipe one time in gram flour and second time in bhindis. Be careful just add small amount of salt both time.
- Add besan/gram flour mixture only when bhindis are fully cooked and we are not going to cook sabji for long time after that.