Traditional Punjabi baingan bharta made by roasting brinjal or eggplant with oil and spices. It tastes ju
st like dhaba style baingan bharta. Yum, flavorful and delicious!!! Baingan bharta is made by roasting eggplant on stove or tandoor. Whenever I go to dhaba for lunch with my family we always order dal tadka and baingan bharta. I got this recipe from one of my favorite dhabas and trust me if you try this punjabi dhaba baingan bharta you will love it for sure. Some Indian recipes are worth trying. This baingan bharta is a traditional Indian recipe which has been popular from very old time. Also, if you skip clarified butter or ghee at the end it becomes a delicious Indian vegan recipe. Sometimes baingan bharta is made just by charring the eggplant and then adding some basic herbs and spices without further roasting. This is called chokha. It is also very famous Indian recipe in villages. In dhabas they roast eggplant / baingan in tandoor which is burned with coal. There baingan bharta has that charred smell. To make it same at home we will first roast baingan on stove till it is charred and completely cooked from inside. Then we will cook it again with onion, garlic, tomatoes and spices. In this dhaba style baingan bharta we are not going to use many and large amount of spices. We are going to use fresh herbs and spices which gives baingan bharta that authentic taste. I like to serve it with fresh home made yeast free tawa naan or missi roti. You can also enjoyed with soft, puffed freshly made chapatti or roti.I hope you like this Punjabi baingan bharta and try it. Do let us know how you do like it.
- 1 Brinjal medium size
- 1 Onion small size
- 1 Tomato medium size
- Garlic Cloves
- ½ inch Ginger
- 1-2 Green Chilli
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- ¼ cup Coriander Leaves fine chopped
- 4 tbsp Oil
- Wash baingan and dry it with paper towel. Roast it on a stove from all the sides till it is completely charred.
- Put it in a bowl and cover the bowl for fifteen minutes. In a meanwhile chop onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves and keep them separately and keep them aside.
- Crush ginger, garlic and green chilly in mortar pestle and keep aside. After fifteen minutes peel the outer layer on baingan/ eggplant and smash it with fork.
- Now heat the pan at medium heat and add oil. Once oil is hot enough add chopped onions, salt and cook it till onions are light brown.
- Saute it after every few minutes so that onions do not burn. Once onions turn light brown add crushed ginger garlic and chilly. Mix well and cook for some time or till raw smell of garlic is gone.
- Now add turmeric powder and Kashmiri lal mirch powder. Mix well and add chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook till tomatoes are mushy and leave oil.
- Now add coriander powder, chilly powder, and cumin powder mix well and add roasted baingan.
- Add coriander leaves and saute baingan in masala till it loses oil. Baingan bharta is ready to serve. Enjoy it with soft chapatis and parathas.
- Look for the eggplant / baingan which is light in weight. If it very heavy it means it has lots of ripen seeds which is not good.
- While selecting make sure there are no holes in baingan / eggplant, holes indicates that it may have bugs inside.
- While roasting eggplant make sure to turn it after every few minutes for even cooking.
- To check whether eggplant is cooked or not insert the knife and it should go very softly inside , it means it is perfectly cooked.
- It is very important that as soon as baingan is fully roasted keep it in bowl covered for sometimes. This way it will be very easy to peel it.
- To give that authentic dhaba style baingan bharta taste I have used little more oil but if you think it’s too much, you can use little less oil.
- Adding ghee at the end gives very nice and aroma to baingan bharta I suggest not to skip it.
- I added Kashmiri lal mirch powder to give baingan bharta red-ish color. If you don’t have it or you don’t want to use it you can skip it.
Pingback: Baigan Bharta | बैंगन भरता रेसिपी इन हिंदी | Brinjal Recipes | Punjabi Baingan Ka Bharta – recipes