Gatte ki sabzi or besan gatta curry has a special place in Rajasthani cuisine. It is so famous there that is also known as Rajasthani gatte ki sabzi. A very unique in taste as well in making this gatta curry is very easy to prepare. Do watch my quick step by step recipe video for making besan gatte ki sabzi. Gatte ki sabzi comes very handy when you don’t have any fresh vegetable in home. It is basically made from gram flour or besan. Method is very simple. Just knead dough with gram flour and make logs out of it. Boil these logs and cut them in small pieces. And gatte are ready. You can either make dry gatte ki sabzi or gatte ki sabzi with gravy. You can make gravy of gatte ki sabzi in many ways. Sometimes it is made only with curd and it is called dahi wali gatte ki sabzi. Today I am posting spicy easy gatte ki sabzi with onion gravy. You can also make lauki ke gatte by kneading the dough with grated lauki instead of water. Make sure grate lauki with very fine grater so that gatte remains smooth. These lauki ke gatte are very delicious and healthy. It is an easy vegetarian recipe which you can make for any occasion. I like to serve it with lachha paratha or warqi paratha. Tastes heaven !!! While making besan gatte ki sabzi it is very important that gatte should be porous and soft from inside, so that when you put them in gravy they absorb the gravy well inside. To make soft gatte make sure you add some oil while kneading the dough. Consistency of the dough should be like poori dough or little harder than chapatti dough. Let the gatte boil in water for at least twelve to fifteen minutes. You can check if gatte is ready or not insert the toothpick in boiled gatta and it should come clean. To make dry gatte ki sabzi just make gatte as shown in video and let them cool down for some time. Now heat the oil in karahi or wok add mustard seeds followed by cumin seeds, curry leaves, turmeric powder. Saute and add chopped gatte and add red chilly powder, coriander powder, amchur powder, slit green chilly, coriander leaves and saute for 8-10 minutes on medium heat. Gatte ki sabzi without onion gravy is ready to serve. If you are looking for vegetarian recipes and vegan recipes you may also like garlickytindora, baingan bharta, chole masala, gobi aloo and lot more in my blog.
Besan Gatte ki Sabzi
- 1 cup Gram Flour
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 2-3 tbsp Water
- ¾ cup Tomato chopped
- ¾ cup Onion chopped
- 5-6 Garlic Clove
- 1 inch Ginger
- ½ tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ cup Thick Curd
- ¼ cup Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves fine chopped
- 3 cup Water
- On a high flame heat 3 cups of water in a vessel. In a meanwhile take a mixing bowl and add gram flour, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, oil, salt and hing.
- Mix them together and add little water at a time. Knead stiff and smooth dough like pooris.
- Now grease your hands with oil and divide the dough in five equal parts.
- Roll each parts in four to five inch logs. Now put these logs in boiling water and boil them for 12-15 minutes.
- In a meanwhile grind together tomatoes, onions, ginger and garlic to a thick paste in a mixer grinder.
- After fifteen minutes take the logs out and cut them in small pieces (do not throw the water).
- Now heat ¼ cup of oil. As the oil gets hot add cumin and mustard seeds. Mix well and add turmeric powder and Kashmiri lal mirch powder.
- Sauté and add ground tomato onion paste. Cover and cook till oil separates from masala.
- Stir it after every few minutes to avoid burning. Once masala loses oil add coriander and red chilly powder and mix well.
- Now add whipped curd and mix thoroughly fast otherwise curd will curdle. Cook till oil starts separating again.
- Now add chopped gatta pieces and cook them with masala for few minutes.
- Add leftover water from gatta (as required), mix well and boil gravy for 8-10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes gatte ki sabzi is ready. Garnish it with some fine chopped coriander leaves. Serve it hot with parathas or chapatti.