Besan sev is a savory Indian snack. It is very famous snack made during Diwali season. It is very easy to make these gram flour/ besan sev at home if you follow my simple instructions. Besan sev is a crunchy, crisp and fried snack. You can shape them thin or thick noodles according to your choice. You can make them in bulk and store them in airtight container. They will be fine at least for 2-3 weeks. Besan sev is made by mixing gram flour or besan with spices and then deep fried in hot oil. To make besan sev you need sev machine which is easily available in stores and is very easy to operate. You can make besan sev in different flavors. Today I have made them little spicy by using black pepper and red chilly powder but if you don’t like spicy you can skip them. You can also add dried mint leaf powder and amchur powder to give them totally different flavor. When I was child I used to get new clothes, make rangolis on Diwali and mom used to make lots of savory and sweets snacks like kachoris, ghujias, sev, namak pare, gulab jamun and lots more. We used to exchange gifts and snacks with friends and families. So much of fun!! And to keep the tradition going here in USA I still do the same.
- 1 cup Gram Flour
- ½ tsp Carom Seeds
- 8-10 Black Pepper Corn
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 pinch Baking Soda
- Grind carom seeds and pepper corns to fine powder and keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl take gram flour, ground masala, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, baking soda and salt. Mix them together.
- Now add little water at a time and make thick, smooth and lump free batter as shown in video.⅓
- Now add little water at a time and make thick, smooth and lump free batter as shown in video.
- Now heat the oil in deep wok or karahi at medium high heat. Fill your sev machine with batter.
- Once oil is hot enough put sev in oil as shown in video. Fry them till they are little firm and then turn them and let them cook for a minute.
- Now reduce the heat to medium and fry them for some time till they are crisp from both side. Once sev are ready take them out and let them cool down.
- When sev are cold enough break them in small pieces with hands. You can also sprinkle some chat masala if you like.
- You can store them in airtight container for at least 2 -3 weeks. Enjoy them with green chutney and a cup of tea.