Rasam, chaaru, Kabir is a south Indian dish that has a sweet, sour and sweet flavoured stock which is traditionally prepared by using tamarind or dry mango juice as a base along with jaggery, garlic, cumin. This is usually served with rice and vegetables along it. This rasam recipe needs no added rasam powder or dal it is 100% pure and authentic rasam. This is a unique recipe of pepper rasam which has many medicinal benefits.
Pepper rasam is low fat and is completely vegan, so for all you vegans out there this is a must-try for you. Pepper rasam can help to reduce terrible cough and cold. This is a go-to dish of winters as it can be consumed as stock or soup and helps to keep your body warm. This is one such this that can be eaten with or without anything at the side. Rasam is known to improve digestion moreover it is also known as the powerhouse of vitamins and minerals. One thing that very few people know about rasam is that is rich in antioxidants and acts as great food in weight loss. Try this super easy and full with medicinal benefits pepper rasam and get set for the winters.
Pepper Rasam Recipe
- Tamarind Water strain amarind soaked in water
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tomato round one's
- 2 pinch Asafetida
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2-3 Dry Red Chilli
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Curry Leaves
- In a mortar add black pepper, cumin seeds and make a coarse powder. Now add in garlic cloves and crush it to make base masala.
- Cut tomatoes into small pieces and mash them with your hands.
- In a pan heat some oil and add in asafoetida, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds,dry red chilli and roast it well.
- Once mustard seeds start popping add in turmeric powder and 80% of the base masala.
- Mix everything and lower down the heat or else masala will burn.
- Once roasted add in mashed tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Now add in tamarind water and extra water if required.
- Now add in curry leaves, salt and give it a good mix and let it come to boil.
- Add rest of the base masala and finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Use round tomatoes as they are sourer.
- If using long tomatoes then use 3 tomatoes.