Fenugreek popularly known as methi in India is a popular winter vegetable and with winter setting its strong foot in our country we can always count on methi making regular appearances on the dining table be it aloo methi or methi paratha or methi matar malai. Methi is not just delicious to eat it also has a lot of medicinal effects because of which it should regularly be included in your meals. Methi has been proved to reduce the risk of diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and inflammations.
FUN FACT: – Roasted fenugreek seed can be used as a substitute for coffee.
Methi is said to have a strong flavour and it sometimes tasted bitter but this tastes better when it is mixed with the right quantity of peas and malai. Methi matar malai is a rich dish because it has a lot of cream and cashew so it is a perfect dish when guests arrive or when your family wants to have a restaurant type meal. But if the cream is something you drool on then this is the perfect recipe for you all.
Methi Malai Matar Recipe
- 2 Tomatoes
- ½ inch Ginger
- 15 Cashew
- 3 Cloves `
- 2 Cardamom small
- 1 Big Cardamom
Methi and Matar
- 1 tsp Oil
- 2 cups Methi Leaves fine chopped
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2 Dry Red Chil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Garlic chopped
- 2 Onion fine chopped
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- Salt according to taste
- Hot Water
- ½ cup Fresh Cream / malai
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- Coriander Leaves fine chopped
- In a grinder add in tomato, ginger, cashew, cardamom both big and small and cloves. Make a fine paste of it.
Methi & Matar
- In a pan heat some oil, add in methi leaves and matar. Cook till methi is dry to avoid bitterness and keep it aside.
- In a pan add some oil and let it heat. Add in dry red chilli, bay leaf, cumin seeds and mix well.
- Now add in garlic and sauté a little now add in onion and cook it turns golden brown.
- Now add in turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, mix and let it cook on low flame.
- Add puree and mix it well, now add water rinsed from the mixer jar andcook till masala starts to leave oil.
- Once gravy is done add in methi and matar, add in salt and mix well. Add in ¼ cup hot water and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes add in 1 cup hot water and let it boil. Once boiled cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Now add in fresh cream and mix it well, now add in garam masala and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Turn off the gas and cover for 2 minutes. Garnish with cream and coriander leaves.
- Wash methi min 2-3 times before using.
- Don’t boil matar beforehand.
- If you want white gravy then don’t use turmeric and replace tomato with curd.
- Only add hot water for better taste.
- By covering the flavour of cream and garam masala will be absorbed properly in matar.