Uttapam is a type of dosa or pancake that has originated from the heartlands of southern India. Unlike the regular dosa that is found all over southern India which is thin and crisp, uttapam is thick like a pancake and has a lot of toppings on it. It is usually combined with sambar or chatni and is a classic breakfast of the Tamilian household. An uncommonly known fact that very few people know is that uttapam is great for weight loss as it makes you fuller quick and keep you full for a longer duration of time.
This dish is made by grinding rice along with curd, I have used a lot of different vegetables to make it tastier. You can add any vegetables of your choice, you can also add in bits of paneer. Usually, it is served with chutney or sambar but it can be eaten on its own too. Make this crispy, tasty and healthy breakfast and give your daily routine a much-needed twist. So, without wasting any more time let’s dive in.
Rice Uttapam Recipe
- 1 cup Rice
- ¼ cup Curd
- ¼ cup Corn Kernels
- ¼ cup Onion fine chopped
- ¼ cup Carrot grated
- ¼ cup Capsicum fine chopped
- 1 Potato grated,boiled/ raw
- ¼ cup Coriander Leaves fine chopped
- 1 Green Chilli fine chopped
- 1 tbsp Raw Peanuts crushed
- Curry Leaves
- ¼ cup Curd
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbsp CornFlour
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 pinch Baking Soda
- In a bowl wash rice and let it soak in water for 4 hours. After 4 hours strain the rice and put it in a grinder along with curd and little bit if water.
- Grind and make a thin paste of it. In a large bowl transfer the rice paste.
- Add in corn kernels, onion, carrot, capsicum, potato, coriander leaves,green chillies, curry leaves, curd, raw peanuts, mustard seeds, chilli flakes,salt according to taste and mix everything well.
- After mixing add in corn flour, oil, baking soda and mix everything.
- Heat a pan on medium heat and add in oil. Spread one big ladle of batter and spread properly.
- Cover and cook on medium flame for 2 minutes or till crisp from bottom. Flip and cook for the other side as well.
- You can use peas instead of corn if you want.
- Adding peanuts is optional.
- Make sure that the batter is thick and don’t make it thin.
- Try using a non-stick pan.